Hend Held Portable Device

trevorhuggard 23:55 17 Apr 14

I am looking for a hand held device, portable, not over-priced, to carry e-mail so I can take my Family Tree Maker genealogy with me, a camera and the capabilities to download apps such as GPS, Google Maps and other similar Google products. Phone not wanted. My PC is Windows 7. Suggestions please?

trevorhuggard 06:27 18 Apr 14

Excuse my lack of technical knowledge. Budget would have to most economically comply with suitable device for requirement. Got burnt buying a Kindle HDX. Their android system was not google compatible, Sent back and received refund. Would require e-mail capability to receive synchronised tree from source, enough capacity to save (about 1Gb I think). Also would like to have camera, GPS and other similar apps where possible. I don't know what to look for. Thanks for answering and hope you can advise. Trevor

trevorhuggard 09:41 18 Apr 14

Would be helpful to have 3G+WiFi. Your recommendation looks to be able to supply my needs. The price is close to budget. Is there anything slightly cheaper?

Woolwell 10:48 18 Apr 14

I very much doubt that the Family Tree software will work on any tablet but you can use an app to view and see your tree. I subscribe to Ancestry.co.uk and use their app to view the online tree and am bale to update it using the app.

trevorhuggard 10:57 18 Apr 14

Hi Woolwell. Thanks. FTM is my major concern. I take it the Ancestry App is able to operate on most mobiles. What do you work on? TGrevor

Woolwell 15:55 18 Apr 14

Not sure which program FTM is (Family Tree Maker?). I use Family Historian. Apart from W8 tablets (not W8 RT) then the OS is likely to be Android or iPad's iOS7. You cannot just transfer the programs across (they will not run or install). You may find that FTM is available as an app.

I have been working on various family history projects since the early 1990's starting with a note book (pencil and paper) and going to public record offices. Nowadays I tend to use the paid for Ancestry and findmypast sites. With Ancestry you can load your gedcom to create a tree and use that on their app.

Personally I would use a tablet to view the tree (and do) but when at a site gathering info then I would put it into notes or spreadsheet and then when at home extract and analyse the information on my main system.

trevorhuggard 23:51 18 Apr 14

Thanks woolwell. Helpful info.

wee eddie 00:30 19 Apr 14

As FTM is only PC compatible, no Android device will do

wee eddie 02:30 19 Apr 14

Nor will Windows RT. You'll need a Surface Pro, or similar.

It'd be cheaper to investigate other software

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…