helpsvc.exe using 100%psu

birdface 10:54 01 Jul 09

Hi Just noticed this running in Taskmanager.helpsvc.exe using 100% of the Cpu.

After a quick google I went into administrative tools.Services.and switched help and support to manual.
Now running some scans just to be in the safe side.
Anybody else had this problem and will changing the service to manual have any side affects.

User-1229748 11:12 01 Jul 09

i'm running xp home sp3 and on opening task manager helpsvc.exe does not show unless i open the help and support although it is set to automatic in services and is started.when i open the help and support helpsvc.exe does not use any cpu at all when on the help start page.

hiwatt 11:22 01 Jul 09

Yes I used to get this quite often too.Any time my computer came to a stand still and using 100% cpu it was always helpsvc.exe that was the culprit.It's been fine since I changed it to manual.

birdface 11:44 01 Jul 09

Ok folk.I thought maybe it was looking for an update or something like that.Tried the new version last year and did not like it so reverted to the old version.but it was the first time i noticed it running in taskmanager.Looks like the manual setting will do the trick.
Still running a few scans so if they come back clean I will class as resolved.

birdface 16:55 01 Jul 09

Ok.I have run all of my security programs and found nothing.So it looks like a help and support problem.What would make it run itself I know not.
As I have turned it to manual that should now stop it running.So will now class this as resolved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009