Helproom Forum Setup, For Forum Director

Phil930 15:51 29 Apr 04

I use many forums, many game forums and have come to like the setup on the Ubisoft forums. The reason being is in the user account all users can create a so called 'signature' and in this space most users are writing down their computer specs so we don't have to continuously type it in everytime we need help.

So, my question is on the PC Advisor website can this feature be incorporated into the accounts to anytime a user posts it will automatically display his computer as a signature below the main post.

I think its another great idea of mine. Like when Gilette did the Mach 3, i said the perfect shave would be a mach 3 head on a senser excel body. Low and behold 2yrs after i say it what do we have now, the Gilette Sensor Excel 3 with 3 blaces. Totally irrelevant i know, but my ideas cant keep going un-noticed and unpaid!!

woodchip 16:02 29 Apr 04

It would save a lot of post's but would take a lot of desktop space

Sir Radfordin 16:11 29 Apr 04

It is an idea that crops up from time to time and everyone has they say and it goes away again.

My view is that in 90% of problems it isn't needed and it doesn't take much to ask for someone's spec if it is relevant to a problem.

Given the detail some people like to go to with such signatures you end up with more content in the signature than in the post itself!

Longinus 16:46 29 Apr 04

One of the problems with people putting their computer specs in the signature place,is that they become the focus of bragging and in some cases ridicule.

In any case,forums soon begin to look cluttered.I like this forum just as it is.

Lionheart ? 17:04 29 Apr 04

This is a professional looking forum, if you start being able to add bits & pieces to your posts, their is a possibility that it will start to look amateurish.

Taran 17:17 29 Apr 04

Just out of curiosity, what do you do if you have multiple computers and/or multiple operating systems ?

My own small network, either at home or at work, would make quite a 'signature' and it might be as difficult to point someone to system number X in a list as having a fault instead of just manually adding your spec if and when required.

Granted, I don't ask for assistance in the Helproom, but if I did the list of systems to choose from in my 'signature' would be long, complicated, would involve servers, laptops, desktops, Apple Macs and Linux boxes and some unusual multi-booting software setups.

This crops up every few months along with the "Why can't we have a visual indicator to see which users are online ?" type of question.

If people need a gentle nudge to include their system spec, so be it. Many problems have nothing at all to do with hardware though, in which case it's pointless to include a spec sheet.

I kind of like this forum as it stands and it seems to be well ahead of the competition.

If it ain't broke...

QQAA 17:46 29 Apr 04

despite the good intention, adding hardware signatures for the user accounts would 'pollute' the forum space and divert attentions away from the essential issue in hand.

€dstowe 18:10 29 Apr 04

" I think its another great idea of mine. Like when Gilette did the Mach 3, i said the perfect shave would be a mach 3 head on a senser excel body. Low and behold 2yrs after i say it what do we have now, the Gilette Sensor Excel 3 with 3 blaces. Totally irrelevant i know, but my ideas cant keep going un-noticed and unpaid!!"

If you have commercially viable ideas such as you suggest, it would be a good idea to obtain legal protection for them in the form of a patent. That way you could stand to gain quite sizeable amounts of money in royalties from exploitation of the idea.

€d

Phil930 18:44 29 Apr 04

ahh, i'll let gilette keep the sensor excel 3!

The points of multiple computers are valid and i also agree that the setup of this forum looks modern and 'professional'.

Maybe if it wasn't a signature but actually in the account set up and fields were there so you could name your components if you wanted to. then when making a post you should have a box to check if you want to display your computer settings. A box similar to the resolved one would be appropriate.

I just feel this would add depth and improve the overall communication of the forum.

I agree, if its not broke, don't break it! But you can improve it! Kaizen kaizen kaizen!!!!

€dstowe 18:47 29 Apr 04

The usual phrase is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" which is different to what you've put:-)

wee eddie 19:02 29 Apr 04

what would "flecc" have put in his box!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…