help...I think I've got a .vxd

confusionrules 21:04 18 May 03

hi.
I installed/uninstalled an optical mouse, because it was faulty,I did'nt replace it.Now I have the hardware wizard rash on start up.
Ive searched for files and folders and deleted remnants, but it still appears.
My standard mouse has also lost the scroll function, but autoscrolls on clicking the wheel.
Ifound a file chimouse.vxd which relates to the mouse..... How do I get rid of it????
thanks rick

Forum Editor 21:21 18 May 03

reinstall the driver for the optical mouse, and just leave it in peace?

Then plug in the second mouse and let Windows detect it and install the driver for it.

Windows will be none the wiser, and you should be left in peace as well.

MartinT-B 21:22 18 May 03

.vxd files are virtual drivers

You should be able to delete it safely if you have another mouse connected

woodchip 21:32 18 May 03

I think the VXD as gone and Windows is prompting with a error message when starting computer. But if we could have the error message in full we may be able to offer more help

Forum Editor 21:48 18 May 03

is that Windows thinks it has detected the optical mouse at startup, and it's trying to install the software for it.

My workaround is to let it have the software, and then give it a different mouse and let it install the generic driver - it should be quite happy with that.

woodchip 21:57 18 May 03

FE he as probably let the software go back with the mouse

woodchip 22:00 18 May 03

Would the mouse be a Typhoon by any chance

Stuartli 22:52 18 May 03

I have a Typhoon wireless keyboard and mouse - the software for both works perfectly. It's also branded by Trust but is probably made by A4Tech or similar - A4Tech produces a vast number of rebranded products as well as under its own name.

The software is iKeyworks 6.08 and Amoumain for the mouse.

I previously had a rebranded wireless mouse by A4Tech - the software was a real pain and caused all end of problems. Eventually I found the standard Microsoft mouse driver perfectly adequate.

woodchip 22:56 18 May 03

Reason I asked is that I tried two mice from Lidl supermarket and took both back first after one day second after 6 days both mains adapters went

confusionrules 21:21 19 May 03

The mouse was purchased from Aldi supermarket,branded as a MERIDIAN product,resellers for 'CHIC' as far as i can detect. hence 'chimouse.vxd.
I initially made a sucessfull instalation, but on developing the fault,(erratic cursor control)after a couple of days, I decided it was software related, and deleted/reinstalled a couple of times before deciding on a return to store.
possible clues:
Windows M.E. O.S.
No error message, just Hardware Wiz appearance.
I disconnected the optical mouse from ps2 connection as per uninstall instructed.
attempted to connect via usb, but would'nt recognize it,even tho it said on the box....
I reconnected generic mouse and found I had lost the scroll.
possibly deleting remnant files????

Despicable Desperado 22:24 19 May 03

To get rid of the reference to the vxd you will probably have to make a trip to the registry. You can do it manually or maybe one of the free downloadable reg cleaners will do it for you.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…