Help!I reinstalled xp,its asking for a password

eh? 17:23 31 May 07

Hello
I reinstalled xp home after it got all in a mess, and all went well until after the windows logo I get a box asking me for a password , with the user name 'Administrator'.I didnt create a password when installing and didnt hve one before so I have no idea what it can be. there are no asterisks in the box. I have tried to do a repair but dont have the option to on the cd.
Any one that can help would be a saviour!
thank you.

Technotiger 17:28 31 May 07

Hi, if you did not create a password, at that screen you should have just pressed Return on your keyboard.

Technotiger 17:29 31 May 07

If it still wants a password, try Admin as the password - that is, if it does not respond to pressing Return.

eh? 17:40 31 May 07

No it doesnt accept admin or if I leave it blank. In safe mode it lets me in with a blank password, and I have just managed somehow to disable something, but now I get the error message 'unable to log you on because of an account restriction'
Any clues??

Diversion 17:44 31 May 07

Which disk did you use for the re-installation; if it was the recovery disk and you did a full format I think you've deleted the OEM files. If it's got Administrator instead of your name that's what's happened, if you use the recovery disk you should have done a quick format. I did this years ago, Microsoft should prevent a recovery disk from doing a full format. You will need an OEM disk to re-install your operating system.

Technotiger 17:45 31 May 07
  bremner 17:57 31 May 07

There is no difference between a quick format and a full format of a hard drive - they are both in fact quick formats.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 31 May 07

Admin password. Do not have one.
start > control panel > Administrative Tools > Local Security Policy > Security Options - scroll down to Recovery Console > Allow automatic administrative logon - set it to Enabled

Windows2k/XP
Try this:

1- boot to the windows xp/2000 CD ,

2- press enter to start setup ,

3- press F8 for the license agreement ,

4- when you get the option to repair the current installation press R to do so ,

5- let it run through and for windows XP wait until it reboots and is installing, devices then

press shift F10 to open a command prompt. For windows 2000 wait until it is registering

components then press shift F10 to open a command prompt. ,

6- In windows XP either type in "nusrmgr.cpl" w/o quotation marks at the command prompt and press enter. For windows 2000 type in "control.exe" w/o quotation marks and press enter. This should open up the user accounts applet in XP and the regular control panel in 2000. ,

7- select the users and change or remove their passwords accordingly, apply settings and close the control panel windows and command prompt windows so that just setup is running again. ,

8- let the inplace upgrade finish.

The user should now be able to log in when it finishes and not have to reinstall the programs like in a parallel install.

eh? 18:11 31 May 07

hi
Yes I followed that link thanks techno, but thats how i arrived at this latest error message....
and fruitbat, I dont have the option to repair from my cd, only install or use recovery console. also, I dont have local security polict in admin
tools...
Am getting in bit of a mess now!

Diversion 18:12 31 May 07

Bremmer
That's what the shop tried telling me, I could not re-install and get my name to come up when I clicked on the Start button until I re-installed using an OEM disk. I tried several times using the recovery disk and to no avail, but the quick format leaves of lot in the registry whereas a full format clears everything out.

bremner 18:56 31 May 07

Both a quick format and a full format rewrite the system areas of the hard drive.

ie in FAT32 the Root Directory and File Allocation Tables and in NTFS all the system $ files including the MFT.

It is not possible for the registry to have been retained if a format was carried out.

What you appear to be describing is a system restore.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…