Helpful scan - maybe?

johndrew 15:39 PM 11 May 11

MS sent me an e-mail with a link to their Microsoft Security Scanner. It is free standing and, although a bit long winded, may be of help to any who believe they may be infected.

Have a look - it's free link text

daz60 16:54 PM 11 May 11

Why would Micro$oft send you an e-mail(??)and a link to a site.? Sounds fishy to me.Methinks a scam.???

rawprawn 17:16 PM 11 May 11

Scam? Not if you know johndrew

onthelimit1 17:17 PM 11 May 11

daz - I don't think so. If you go to the MS site, the scanner is there.

Nontek 07:11 AM 12 May 11

link text

I share Daz60's doubts, - scroll down to last article in the link, unless johndrew has subscribed to the Microsoft service.

onthelimit1 09:14 AM 12 May 11

Hmm, see what byou mean. The email could be dodgy, but the site seems genuine.

johndrew 09:51 AM 12 May 11

Both the e-mail - I do subscribe to MS Security - and the product are genuine, so for those with concerns be assured.

bjh 10:24 AM 12 May 11

'Tis Microsoft.

'Tisn't a scam.

However, it is a big download, and I'm not sure it will add much to the AV world. It can be downloaded on one machine, and run off a CD on another. I believe it doesn't have any install, so should help machines that are pretty gummed up.

I suspect it will use the same AV engine & database as Microsoft Security Essentials.

daz60 17:26 PM 12 May 11

I had no idea you could subscribe to M$,so i apologise to johndrew. It has been shown to often, how a scam could work.I tend to err on the sceptical side.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016