help:Changed processor

rich88 15:36 05 Sep 04

i recently change my processor from a athlon 2500xp to a athon 3200xp, the computer works but on the start up menu the computer say that i still have the 2500xp in the computer, does this mean that the computer is treating the processor like the old 1 and it is no improvement, can i change this at all???

Steve N 21:05 05 Sep 04

It sounds to me like a problem a friend of mine had with an Athlon 2200 which would sometimes get reported as 1800 in Windows.

This was because of the FSB (Front Side Bus) setting in his BIOS. When set at 133MHz (266MHz effective) Windows would report the correct 2200 CPU speed but occasionally (dodgy motherboard) the FSB would change to 100MHz (200MHZ effective) and thus would report the CPU to be 1800.

I think the problem might be that either your motherboard does not support a 166MHz (333MHz effective) FSB, or you have not increased this setting in your BIOS from what is most likely to be set at 133MHz since changing your CPU.

Arthur Scrimshaw 21:19 05 Sep 04

I don't understand why you have started a second (identical) post when you have two replies to your first post you haven't responded to??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…