had to pull the plug,
rebooted and set the firewall on minimal setting same thing all again
rebooted, disabled firewall and i was back to normal
everything worked fine.
so what i would like to know if anybody as any ideas why, and remedy
thanks in advance
running Win Xp home AOL 8 Broadband

JIM 11:04 04 Feb 04

1/ Are you by any chance running winxp firewall at the same time?

2/also is the Aol popup blocker running at the same time?(not that i can say for certain the Aol popup blocker would affect your aol McAfee personal firewall.

sam 11:26 04 Feb 04

thanks for reply
no not running xp firewall
pop-up blocker allowing pop-ups
sam

JIM 12:00 04 Feb 04

AOL and problems with window shutdowns after, an Initial install of there software is not to unusal.(depending on what config and software is on some system )Poss, the firewall download install has upset your win config/registry a touch.

As you have no problem when the Aol McAfee personal firewall is "disabled" would suggest that you install a fresh copy of the AOL software.Leaving in the McAfee personal firewall at this time.Only take a few mins to do.

This may cure the problem and you can then uninstall the original copy of Aol you have in at this time if all is well after a while.

"Aol help official method :)" Your more than likely well aware of this procedure.

If you are experiencing problems with the AOL software (for example, persistent error messages), the software may have become corrupted. To fix this, you can uninstall the AOL software, then reinstall a fresh copy. Instructions for how to do this are as follows:

To Uninstall AOL:

1. Close the AOL software. (Note: Save these steps in a text file or print them before closing AOL.)

2. On the Windows Start menu, click Settings, then click Control Panel. (Windows XP users, click Start then click Control Panel.)

3. Double-click Add/Remove Programs. (Windows XP users may need to click Switch to Classic View in order for this option to be visible)

4. In the 'Add/Remove Programs' dialog box, select AOL UK, then click Add/Remove or Change/Remove.

5. In the Version list, select the version or copy of the AOL software you want to remove, then click Next.
Note: If you have downloaded files or saved email in your Personal Filing Cabinet that you wish to keep, make sure the Downloaded Files and Personal Filing Cabinet checkboxes are ticked. If they are, these files will be copied to new folders on your desktop for safe-keeping.

6. Follow all remaining on-screen prompts.

To Reinstall AOL:
1. Insert an AOL CD-ROM into your CD-ROM drive.
2. The installer should automatically launch after a few seconds. If it does not:
- On the Windows Start menu, click Run.
- Type: d:\setup (or e:\setup depending on the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive), then press Enter.

3. Follow the on-screen instructions. When prompted, choose the Current Members option, then choose Adding your existing AOL account to this computer and click Next.

4. Take note of the folder the new version of AOL is being installed into.

5. Follow all remaining on-screen prompts.

To Restore your Backed-up AOL Files:

1. Double-click the AOL Saved PFC folder on your desktop.
2. Double-click the AOL folder corresponding to the version of AOL you uninstalled (if in doubt, choose the most recently-created folder)

3. Right-click the Organize folder and click Copy.

4. Find the folder containing your newly-installed version of AOL (the folder name you made note of when reinstalling AOL, above). This will be called something like C:\Program Files\AOL 7.0a or AOL 8.0a. So for example, double-click My Computer, then double-click your C drive and double-click Program Files. Finally, right-click the appropriate folder (e.g. AOL 7.0a or AOL 8.0a) and choose Paste.

5. When prompted whether you want to replace files, click Yes. Now you can double-click the AOL icon on your desktop and sign on as normal.

sam 15:49 04 Feb 04

thanks for detailed reply
i`ll give it a try as soon as i can
from trouble with aol before i think your right
thanks again
sam

Cesar 09:50 05 Feb 04

Have you contacted AOL "Live Help" and explained your Problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…