Help/advice required for custom pc build

cowabunga18 23:42 20 Aug 10

Hi I'm building a system that will be predominantly used for graphic design and running lots of design software. I just want a pc that will run very fast and smooth. Perhaps a bit of gaming but not a lot I'm more into xbox.

This will be my first build and I've been researching components for a month or so and I think I've narrowed down pretty much everything I want. I really just wanted some help and advice regarding the components I am after and if anyone has built there own custom system or has better experience/knowledge than I do then advice would be appreciated - particularly want to be sure that all components are compatible with each other etc.

Thanks to all who take the time to read this and reply!

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E LX click here
Seems a good price for all the features, good connectivity, USB 3.0, what are your thoughts?

CPU: Intel Core i7 870 click here
2.93ghz quad core, best price I could find. Would it be worth getting one of these of the 2.8? It doesn't cost that much more, but don't think I could stretch to the 3.2 though. I wouldn't be able to overclock myself and am not that worried about it to be honest, but does anyone know of anywhere that you can buy pre-overclocked chips on their own?

CPU cooling: Akasa AK-966 click here
Cheap, good reviews...

GPU: Asus ATI Radeon HD 5770 click here
I think this is fairly good spec for price, are these good cards? I'm not worried about incredible GPU performance as I'n not that into pc gaming. I will be using a blu ray optical drive however, will this be sufficient? I will also be using my 26" samsung hdtv (720p) as the monitor via HDMI. I assume that everything will display correctly if I set the resolution on the card to the native resolution of the tv (1366 x 768). Anyone have any experience of this?

Memory: GEIL 8GB DDR3 1600 QUAD CHANNEL BLACK DRAGON click here
Seems good price for 8gb quad channel, anyone know if this stuff is any good? Other brands like Corsair and OCZ are much more pricey for 8gb.

Data drive (HDD): Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB click here
This has fairly good reviews performance-wise and is pretty cheap. Don't think it would really be worth going for 2tb as I'll be getting an external HDD or two for back-up and storing old data.

Boot drive (SSD): OCZ Vertex Series 60GB click here
Good reviews, fast read/write speeds for price, seems fairly well priced. Any thoughts? 60gb sufficient for boot drive? Anyone have any experience of using SSDs as a boot drive and HDD as data drive? Is this easy to do? Anyone know of any other SSDs with similar/better performance for similar price?

Optical drive 1: Sony Optiarc 24x click here=
Cheap, fast...

Optical drive 2: Samsung 8x BluRay click here
Good price, anyone know if this is a good drive or af any other good drives for similar price?

PSU: OCUK Swift 750W Silent Power Supply click here=
Overclockers own brand, cheap! Are these any good? Will 750 watts be enough?

Case: Xigmatek Midgard click here
Looks good, doesn't break the bank, think this would be fairly spacious to work with. I'll get this side window as well click here

So that's it don't think I missed anything. Oh if anyone knows of some nice flat wireless keyboards let me know. Anyone know how easy it is to use the apple magic mouse with windows? I'll be using Windows 7 64 bit so I'm pretty sure all these components are compatible but if not please let me know!

Thanks for any help anyone can give :)

Dan

rdave13 01:14 21 Aug 10

You haven't a list of the costs of each piece of hardware. No list of guarrantee of each part, either.
As you seem to be quite knowlegable, possibly it would be worth visiting a site that would build a system for your own specific use with a three year warranty for parts and labour? Also without an OS if you have your own.
Use google for various builders as the only one I know with a high reputation on these boards are Cougar Extreme.

robin_x 01:44 21 Aug 10

Radeon online add-ons and extras/gpu support etc are rubbish.

Consider nVidiA. Check forums.

ie google nvidia problems / radeon problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5