Help/advice in reformating a laptop

josie mayhem 10:18 23 Mar 04

I have just brought a second hand laptop, which still has the previous owners config on it.

I want to reformat the hard drive, so that it returns back to one partition, and reinstall the os.

I've done many reformats/installation with desktops but never with a laptop (first time I've touched one),

So am I correct in assuming that the procedure is the same, or is there something I'm not aware about that could cause me problems.

I didn't receive any recovery disk, or copy of the o.s system, so intend to put my old copy of win98se onto it.

I've checked out toshiba's website, and can download any drivers that win98 doesn't conatain if needed. Old machine but still being supported by toshiab (portege 311oct, p11)

Any help adive very welcome and a thankyou before hand.

Ben4078 10:29 23 Mar 04

It should be the same as formatting a normal desktop pc!

JerryJay 10:35 23 Mar 04

All computers (laptop, desktop, server, tablet) work on the same principle.

temp003 10:55 23 Mar 04

As long as drivers are available for 98 from the Toshiba site, you can go ahead.

Laptops components are not always standard and sometimes the manufacturer has its own drivers for some hardware, but since drivers are still available, it's no problem.

josie mayhem 13:09 23 Mar 04

thanks you lot.

Thought as much, but it never hurts to ask.

That's tonight sorted!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…