help/advice to compress floppy disk

march 09:46 25 Jan 05

running win98,do not have cd rewriter

sometimes when downloading programs etc to floppy disk the files are to big to save & you get told to insert a larger disk

under 'properties' on the disk then'compression tab'it says 'you can compress 'A' so that it contains up to 1.50mb more free space'

does this mean compress that one floppy disk or by chosing that option will it change/compress all other floppys?

just thought if it's possible without being to complicated or changing anything on the computer set up then it would come in handy for saving some downloads for future use.
also is it a good or bad idea to do this?

Graham ® 10:06 25 Jan 05

You can possibly compress the data on a floppy, not the disc itself.

Download the files to the hard drive first, then someone else will jump in and tell you how to split them over several floppies, as I've forgotten.

march 10:15 25 Jan 05

ok Graham ® thanks

pj123 10:22 25 Jan 05

Download Powerdesk 5 from: click here
and use it instead of Windows Explorer.

Use the Zip and Extract facilities (found in the Archive menu). This will zip (compress) files to multiple floppies for you.

If you get stuck, post back.

march 10:49 25 Jan 05

have downloaded & will try it out,

will do as you say and post back if I get stuck;

will also tick resolved as this seems to be the answer to what I need without needing to change anything on the computer

as always my thanks to you both pj123,
& Graham ® for your time & input

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…