Help - yaha k worm!

johnllew 23:31 13 Jan 03
  johnllew 23:31 13 Jan 03

My daughter has been receiving strange screensaver emails which I have been forwarding to [email protected] who are pretty good at stopping spam.

Unfortunately tonight, I opened the attachment with such an email and AVG informed me there was a virus therein. I ran a full test and AVG (updated to 10th Jan) isolated the virus - it was I-Worm/Yaha.K. At the end of the run, it recommended me to put the virus in the vault which I tried but the program said the virus could not be removed.

The location of the worm was in the temporary internet files so I deleted the lot along with all cookies and ran AVG again. This time there was no virus detected.

Have I done enough? Why could the virus not be removed by AVG? Was it because my email to [email protected] was in the outbox?

Sorry, I'm not an expert at all this and have relied on your advice in the past, for which I have been most impressed and very grateful.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hunte® 23:36 13 Jan 03
  VoG™ 23:38 13 Jan 03
  VoG™ 23:39 13 Jan 03
  johnllew 10:27 15 Jan 03

Thanks chaps/chapesses. Any idea why AVG could not remove the virus to the vault once found? Do I need a better anti-virus software product?

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:36 15 Jan 03

The 'vault' used by AVG is only a temporary holding file. Most viruses are harmless so will have little or no effect on HOME systems and there is little to worry about. AVG did its job by alerting you to the virus. I use AVG and have no problems with it.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…