Help with XP Repair installation

handful 20:24 09 Dec 03

I am trying to do a repair XP installation which I have done several times before but for some reason it won't let me. I am going through this process:
Reboot with XP CD to the Welcome to XP screen
Press enter to set up XP
F8 to accept agreement
This is when it seems to go wrong as it then comes up with a list of partitions and asks which one to use. I select my C Drive and it warns me that there is already an os installed.

I don't seem to be getting an option to 'R'to repair and am frightened of ending up with XP installed twice on the same drive. Can anyone throw any light?

spikeychris 20:34 09 Dec 03

click here for some similar information.

handful 20:53 09 Dec 03

spikeychris
I read the thread and I have to say I read War and Peace quicker! The part I still can't understand is I am not getting the option to R at the point where I have to decide on a repair or clean install. The only difference between this and previous times is that I partitioned the hard drive into four at the last reinstall. Could this be connected at all?

spikeychris 21:21 09 Dec 03

Only ever come across this once before and the only option was to re-install and the repair option returned.

So you might at some point have to re-install XP and your apps. If you are careful to "take ownership" of and rename
your old account profile folders, you can re-create your accounts and
copy your old account files over to your new accounts and recover your
files AND your XP and app settings.

Here's the procedure for re-installing so that you can recover your old
settings:

1) re-install XP

2) logon as Administrator and take ownership of all old user profile
folders in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>

3) rename the folders (ie C:\Documents and Settings\yourname becomes
\yourname.old

4) create your new account, give it admin priv, and logon to the yourname account
so that XP will create the new user profile for YN with the defaults
from Default User

5) logoff and logon to Administrator

6) copy ntuser.dat and all your files and folders from yourname.old to
yourname

7) re-install all your apps back into Program Files

Now you have your old settings back and the user profile is the
same path as you had before.

spikeychris 21:21 09 Dec 03

Or ofcourse use the repair console...

powerless 21:28 09 Dec 03

So you don't see this click here

spikeychris 21:33 09 Dec 03

Cut it down will ya, theres 38 pages and I'm knackered. Whats it say?

powerless 21:37 09 Dec 03

click here Image 1.2 down.

spikeychris 21:43 09 Dec 03

Yeah but handful isn't getting the R option.

powerless 21:45 09 Dec 03

Just wait will ya!

handful 22:00 09 Dec 03

spikeychris
I will try your suggestion but I will leave it until I feel a bit less tired I think (been up since 5am!) I have one more option as the problem I am trying to resolve is the dreaded system registry hive corruption more commonly seen as:
'Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: Windows\System32\Config\System

I seem to be plagued by this every few months and I have once succeeded to recover from it without having to reinstall. I might try this although it is a bit long-winded before trying your excellent suggestion. Many thanks to you and Powerless. I will update when I have tried either or both options

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…