Help xp reinstall problem

lmhillyard 09:25 07 May 07

Hi any help out there?
I decided to reinstall xp using the full programme disk following issues with performance and reliability.
Started ok running fine,then horror a power cut!!
Now the pc starts up and the message "setup is being restarted" comes up after the pc starts normally.then all goes blank no disk activity.
I have tried to tab and alt f2 f8 at the start up but nothing will interupt the cycle of going to black screen .Left it overnight but nothing happened

Easiest way is probably a clean install ie Format
your hard disk. You will lose all data files and have to re-install drivers and programs but this will sort out your performance/reliability problems. It's a bit of a pain, I did it a week ago and my system was absolutely transformed.

belcanto 10:01 07 May 07

Can you tell me though "oldal1", after you did a clean install if you did a restore of your image file? My problem is that I want to purchase and install a full copy of MCE but I want to do an upgrade over XP. Will that still leave me with all of my files and settings and prorammes?

Thanks-Belcanto

howard64 10:11 07 May 07

do you need to recover data from the hard disk or are you the rarity that has everything backed up? If recovery is required the best bet is to find a friend who can put your hard drive in their pc as a slave and get your stuff for you. Then before returning the drive they can format the drive for you. On reinstalling the drive you can set the bios to boot from the xp cd and do a clean install.

Fortunatly I had all my files backed up to an externa USB drive, if you want to recover the files from your "old" installation then take howard64's advice.

lmhillyard 18:43 07 May 07

Hi
Yes I was fully backed up so don't mind what I lose.So the question is how do I format the drive?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:47 07 May 07

Keep tapping F8 as you boot up, will it let ou get to a command prompt or menu?

lmhillyard 18:51 07 May 07

No fruit it is locking me out big time

howard64 17:26 09 May 07

try downloading the ultimate boot disc [type that into goole] This will set your drive up as a clean disk then you can boot from your xp cd.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…