Help with XP please!

robbiecom 18:44 02 Oct 09

Hi,
Am having problems with reinstalling/repairing Win XP. Every time I go to try, the comp boots from the CD which is an original one. It doesn't allow me to go into setup. Of course, you can't do this operation whilst in Windows. I am recovering the PC from a bad virus attack (Cryptor 32)and I want to reload all the drivers. Please help. Many thanks Rob

woodchip 18:47 02 Oct 09

How are you doing this? you should start with XP CD in the drive after it loads files choose Setup then let it look for a Operating System when it finds one click on it then press R for repair

rawprawn 18:50 02 Oct 09
  woodchip 18:55 02 Oct 09

Do Not use Recovery Console for repair, I repeat do not use Recovery Console. Just choose Setup, then let it search for the Operating System the Click it to highlite it press R

chub_tor 19:05 02 Oct 09

If the PC is booting into Windows then it is bypassing the CD, are you sure that you have set the BIOS so that the first boot device is the CD Drive?

robbiecom 19:12 02 Oct 09

Thanks for your swift replies. I am trying to get setup to come up on my screen but the comp continues to boot from the bootable files on the CD. "Press any key to continue to boot" is the message I get. I need to be able to access the CD from within Dos

woodchip 19:36 02 Oct 09

Press Del key as PC booting it takes you to Cmose Settings then go to boot tab and set it to first boot device CD, second Hard Drive

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:49 02 Oct 09

You cannot access a XP CD from DOS

your drivers are probably not on the XO CD only basic drivers are on the CD.

robbiecom 19:58 02 Oct 09

All I need to do is to be able to enter "Setup" from the XP disc instead of my comp booting up into Windows.

rickf 20:29 02 Oct 09

as said set ist boot from cd in bios

robbiecom 20:32 02 Oct 09

I have - it just continues to boot!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…