help - xp freezing

nelie 15:32 11 Jun 06

over the past couple of days xp(sp2) has been freezing forcing me to switch off at the wall. NAV found no viruses and there seems to be no pattern to the freezing. this morning i did a clean reinstall of xp from the recovery partition and its still freezing. is this a mini dump proble or other system failure and what can i do?

384MB Ram
athlon 64 3000
160gb HD
xp home sp2

thanks in advance

Hertz Van Rentyl 16:43 11 Jun 06

Have you updated your system with the latest Windows update, only some people have had some problems with the latest verification patch.

nelie 16:53 11 Jun 06

no i havent updated in a while. the only s'ware ive installed recently is winamp so ive just uninstalled that. the last time i booted was the longest time it has lasted - about 20 mins. there is no new hardware installed either

Hertz Van Rentyl 19:03 11 Jun 06

Perhaps you are overheating this will display your temps and fan speed
click here
go to computer/sensor

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:15 11 Jun 06

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

nelie 07:00 12 Jun 06

problem solved i think. i took the back off and gave it a really good clean - it was incredibly dusty - i also made sure all connections were in properly.
i also uninstalled winamp and it seems to be working fine now.

thanks for your input

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…