Help with XP

BigNix 22:26 08 Sep 05

I am using windows XP home edition with 2 accounts beng used.

Both have the same stuff on them and the problem that I have is that only one account will let me update things such as my firewall, media players and spyware remover.

Can anyone tell me why is this and how do I make both accounts the same so can update things/ allow then to contact their servers on both accounts?

Samuelson 22:48 08 Sep 05

One of the accounts will be an "administrator" account which allows you do do anything/change anything. (Windows will make the first account you set up and admin account by defult). The other account probably wont be an admin account. Simply go to Start > Settings > Control Panel > User Accounts, then click on the name of the account who is a "Limited Account" (if you cant do it then try logging in as the other user), then click "change account type", then change it to "computer administrator". Now both accounts will have a same access to programs etc etc. Enjoy!

lickalotofpuss 23:48 08 Sep 05

It could be the obvious suggestion above, but I have three accounts on xp pro, and have found that though they all have the same programs, not all will run whether an administator or not it just depends on what user name I was on when the program was installed so now I just right click a program and use the run-as command and switch user.

Samuelson 22:18 09 Sep 05

This also can be solved, some programs will ask you if you want it install for all users or just the current user. As well deciding where the start menu icons are put, this can effect the \program files ntfs permissions. Browse to c:\program files\ and find the program that wont let another user run it, then right click on it and select properties then click the security tab (if its not there go to control panel > folder options then take off "use simple file sharing" option). In the security tab you will see a list of names, for every user to use the program there needs to be an entry called "users", and it needs to be set so they can read/write. Change the tick boxes so "users" can read AND write the folder (if "users" is not there, then click add then type "users"), then click ok. Changes are made instantly. Enjoy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5