Help!! Worm - Funner.A. Safe mode doesnt even work

kfq61 12:49 01 Feb 05

Hi, Hope someone can help.

Whenever my friend's pc has a problem, I'm called into help. This morning she phoned to say, she'd decided to update her AVG6 to AVG 7 (running xp), when she came to restart it, she couldn't log onto any users, it would log on for a couple of seconds, then logged off to main login page. I visited and started it in safe mode, deleted avg 7 and restarted. Downloaded avg again, after installation it recognised a virus and said it would have to do a restart to heal. After the restart, same problem occurred. Initially, even the safe mode page would not load. Managed to do a sytem restore via 'msconfig'. Ran avg which detected Worm Funner.A in 9 files, (rundll.32 and some Dc22.exe), it said it had healed them but had to do a restart. After this, nothing can be logged onto even in safe mode, it logs off straight away. All I can think off is a clean install, though this seems drastic measure. Is there anything else I can do to get in and cure?

ACOLYTE 13:16 01 Feb 05

click here

I dont know if this will help as you say it wont boot into safe mode.

Description click here

kfq61 13:26 01 Feb 05

Thanks for reponse, I'll look at both. Do you know what else I can do to get it, as safe mode doesn't even work?

ACOLYTE 13:28 01 Feb 05

Not sure maybe you could run the file from a floppy?.

end 13:31 01 Feb 05

showing my ignorance on this but can it be "got at" through opening the DOS mode? (just an idea)

kfq61 13:33 01 Feb 05

showing my ignorance, but if I do mange to get into Dos mode, what do I do next?

ACOLYTE 13:40 01 Feb 05

What windows version are you running?

kfq61 13:46 01 Feb 05

Running XP

ACOLYTE 13:50 01 Feb 05

Then i dont think the DOS approach will work,you may be able to save the file to floppy and boot from that but again im not 100% that will work.A clean install may be the best option but maybe other helpers may know a better way.

ACOLYTE 13:57 01 Feb 05

I dont know if this idea would work and it may be risky but if you could put your friends HDD in your pc as a slave drive then download the file to your pc and run it to check both HDD it may find and fix the problem,if you have upto date AV software the risk should be minimal but as i said im not sure it would work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…