help with word

maccster 15:42 22 Aug 04

i want to make a continuing alphabetical dvd list. is this possible in word?i would like it to be numbered. when i buy a new dvd it should just be able to be entered into the list witout having to re-arrange all the numbers manually.

VoG II 15:46 22 Aug 04

Create a numbered list in Word. Trpe in your list. Select the entire list then on the Menu, Table and then Sort.

When you add new items at the bottom of the list, use Table/Sort to organise them alphabetically.

Graham ® 15:56 22 Aug 04

Hi, When you say a numbered list, do you mean 1, 2, 3 etc.? Just tried that and it wouldn't sort.

maccster 15:59 22 Aug 04

yeah. i want to be able to buy a new dvd an enter it into the list alphabetically without having to change all the numbers myself

VoG II 16:02 22 Aug 04

I did try this before posting :o)

Click the "Numbering" toolbar button.

Type in the list.

Select the lot and Table/Sort as above.

I'm using Word 2003 but I'm sure I've done this in earlier versions though.

Djohn 16:14 22 Aug 04

I too have just tried this with a short table of numbers, missing one out then adding it on the end. Click on the sort button will place the last number into the correct position.

Graham ® 16:20 22 Aug 04

Got it now, thanks. In Word 2000 it's Format, Bullets and Numbering. If you put the numbers in manually it doesn't sort.

Graham ® 16:25 22 Aug 04

Hi, your're quite right of course. I was putting 1 to 5 in paragraphs, then random letters against each one. Of course the numbers were already sorted!

Djohn 16:39 22 Aug 04

Well it is Sunday afternoon after all! As for me, I just go round all the threads agreeing with VoG™.

He's never let me down yet though I have a feeling if he reads this he will lead me up the garden path, then drop me right in it! ;o)

VoG II 16:42 22 Aug 04

It is all my fault :o(

I should have explained properly to start with.

Graham ® 16:52 22 Aug 04

I'm sure people round the world will nevertheless be grateful for your sound advice :-) and will be thinking 'so that's how you do it'.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…