HELP! wireless networking confusion

elfo 11:56 20 Nov 07

hello -

we're having serious problems connecting our Buffalo wireless router to our Fujitsu Siemens PC. A basic question to begin with - does the PC (which will act as the ICS host) need a wireless network adapter?

there is no 'wireless network connection' icon displayed in the network connections window...

sorry, i'm terrible with computers!

AlexPB 12:08 20 Nov 07

Hi,

If your computer has not got built in wireless, which most PC's tend not to have then you will need to install a wireless adapter to enable you to pick up the signal.
Upon installing this, the setup process will search for connect you to your network. Once the install is complete you should be done. :)

Hope this helps
Alex.

I am Spartacus 12:09 20 Nov 07

I'm not an expert on wireless connections either but the way mine is setup is that the Desktop is connected via a cable to the router but the other PCs accessing the internet do so through the router using either an onboard wireless connection or a USB dongle.

You would only need a wireless adapter on the desktop if you wanted to access files on that or share the printer from the other PCs on your network. To do this would require the main PC to be switched on.

AlexPB 12:10 20 Nov 07

So basically buy a wireless adapter and install it and it will do it all for you.

Alex

elfo 12:11 20 Nov 07

hello! thank you for your help - do i need a wireless adapter even if we have an ethernet cable connecting the router to the pc?

and if we do need an adapter, is there a particular kind we should be looking for?

thanks very, very much!

AlexPB 12:21 20 Nov 07

Well if you have an ethernet cable connecting the box to the PC then its not a wireless network its a wired one, which could be a job.

Theres no specific adapter to get just one with a strong signal so you wont strugle with connection.

Heres a couple of descent ones from d-link and which are respectable brands and should be good.

click here

click here

My adapter is one from orange which was supplied with my wireless package, and it is very good.

Hope this helps
Alex

I am Spartacus 12:50 20 Nov 07

You don't need a wireless adapter on the main PC if it connects to the router via a cable unless you want to share files and/or the printer with the other PCs via wireless. If other PCs are only going to access the internet then they're the ones that need a wireless adapter.

MAJ 12:57 20 Nov 07

If your desktop PC is wired to the wireless router, then no, you don't need a wireless adapter in the desktop. Set up the router as per the instructions supplied with it, make sure to load the drivers before connecting the wireless router. When it is set up and you have set your wireless security in the router's settings page, your laptop, if it is fairly new and is 'wireless ready' should detect the wireless signal and ask you if you want to connect to it. To connect you will have to enter your wireless security password which you will have set earlier in the router's settings.

Most laptops now are wireless ready and contain an integrated wireless adapter, most desktops don't. If you want to connect another desktop PC to the wireless network, then you will have to buy a wireless adapter for it. The USB wireless adapters (dongles) are the simplest solution.

elfo 14:36 20 Nov 07

hello all -

i think the issue is that we just can't get the modem to talk to the router, so i'm going to pack it all up and send it back! tghanks for all the help though

cheers, ellen

MAJ 15:08 20 Nov 07

Are you using a cable internet connection?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017