Help with wireless network connection

I have bought two network cards so I can access the internet on my laptop. I have put 1 in the main comp which has an aerial and 1 in the laptop. Both the computers have recognised the new hardware and software but the laptop can't find the wireless network although I have run the network wizard. Please help!

FelixTCat 18:51 18 Feb 05

Set the workgroup name on both computers to be the same and give each computer a different name.

Run the Internet Sharing Wizard on the main computer. Make the disk when offered and use it on the laptop.

Don't tell me - the laptop doesn't have a floppy disk!!!!

Check the management software on the main computer for the channel being used and set the same channel in the laptop.

Open its management software and tell it to look for a ad-hoc connection. Set its IP address to 192.168.0.2 and the default gateway to 192.168.0.1

octal 18:52 18 Feb 05

Sorry I can't answer your question, but there is a network forum on PCA now, it might be worth putting your question on there as well:

click here

For future reference you can get to it in the 'Jump to' menu at the bottom of the Helproom forum.

Both computers have three double screens with red crosses on them in the taskbar and both say the hardware is not connected when I run the wizards.

This so frustrating a bubble keeps popping up saying one or more networks are available, yet when i click on it the box says none are available.

^

FelixTCat 20:11 18 Feb 05

What have you done so far?

I have put the software on the laptop then inserted the card as told. I then done the same on the main computer as told in the handbook. But when the wizard starts it says the wizard found disconnected hardware and in a box it lists Wireless Network Connection - Belkin 802.11 g Network Adapter and LAN - VIA Compatible Fast Ethernet Adapter. And won't let me go any further unless I check the box that says 'Ignore disconnected network hardware'.

This is doing my head in! Nothing is straightforward. I thought I could insert both cards they would recognise each other and away you go.

I need an idiotproof step-by-step guide if you could help.

Thanks

FelixTCat 20:26 18 Feb 05

Don't get too upset. It is a matter of just following through a process. If the moron's in an average company IT department can do it, so can anybody.

One step at a time.

Did you check the box and carry on? If not, do so now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…