Help! Wireless Connection on Virgin Broad band

chris180cc 09:38 19 Jan 08

Hi everyone

Please accept my apologies on this question if it has been asked before.

I have tried reading other posts but, being a complete girlie, they make no sense to me at all. I need someone to explain things to me in sinple language. I have tried asking my 20yr old son but his answer is always "dunno" and hubby is acomplete technophobe.
SO...
I am on Virgin broadband and have a 20mb connection which gives me speeds of about 16 -18mb. I currently have a wired connection connection to my main PC and have a Lynksys WRT 54G router for my son's laptop. I would like to move my PC to the other side of the room and I don't wan to run cables so I would like a wireless connection from the modem and I need advice on what to buy. Would my existing router do the job?

If I buy another I would like one that would still give a fast download speed for my music, connect my sons laptop and ideally my son would also like to connect his Xbox 360 to the internet too. I would be grateful for any advice that you can give me. What else do I need to buy?

Many thanks Chris

chris180cc 11:55 19 Jan 08

Is it true that the router must remain connected to at leat on PC by a cable?

Is wireless networking the same as wireless internet connection?

chris180cc 11:56 19 Jan 08

That should read at LEAST ONE PC

MAJ 13:03 19 Jan 08

"Is it true that the router must remain connected to at leat on PC by a cable?"

Only when setting up the wireless router, chris180cc. When it is set up you can remove the ethernet cable.

"Is wireless networking the same as wireless internet connection?"

Wireless networking is when two or more computers are linked without using wires, by using a wireless router and a wireless network adapter.

Wireless Internet Connection is when a computer receives an internet connection wirelessly from a router connected to a modem which is connected to your cable.

Usually the two are combined, the wireless network is usually able to receive an internet connection by sharing the connection from the router.

Sounds obvious, but both are different.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:19 19 Jan 08

I am on Virgin broadband and have a 20mb connection which gives me speeds of about 16 -18mb
by cable

If you connect to the router by wireless your connection speed will drop, the max is 54mbs but of course this is never achieved in practice.

I assume at the moment you have the Virgin cable to a modem a cable from modem to WAN port on your router and a cable from the router to your PC and your sons laptop connected wirelessly.

Does your PC have a wireless card? If so just use the wireless setup wizard in control panel and use the same settings as your son has on his laptop for SSID and security password/key.

chris180cc 14:30 19 Jan 08

Thanks for your help MAJ & Fruit Bat

Yes Fruit Bat my current connection is as you assume.

I'm afraid I don't know if the PC has wireless card but I don't think so. I have tried looking on system properties but to be honest I don't know what I'm looking for.

I have seen that some router's are faster would that make a difference to the connection speed.

MAJ - I know I may sound stupid but my son insists that the router must be connected to the PC to run - is that just his model?

Once again thanks for your help

Chris

Smiler 16:00 19 Jan 08

"MAJ - I know I may sound stupid but my son insists that the router must be connected to the PC to run - is that just his model?"

If that were true he wouldn't be able to use the internet when your computer was turned off would he?

chris180cc 16:22 19 Jan 08

Hey I wish I had a brain

( and my son for that matter!)

MAJ 16:58 19 Jan 08

You don't sound stupid at all, chris180cc, hope I didn't give the impression that I thought so.

You are correct, the Lynksys WRT 54G is a wireless router.

MAJ 17:01 19 Jan 08

I'm assuming this click here is the router you're talking about.

chris180cc 09:48 20 Jan 08

Hi Maj

No you didn't give the impression that you thought I was stupid - I just think it is funny that as an intelligent person I am completely flummoxed by this sort of stuff - but I suppose it's a new language and I was never any good at languages!

Yes that's the router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5