Help with Wireless Braodband

freddy99 15:11 28 Sep 04

Here's your chance to help a Techno Thickie.

Am looking to set up a netgear system on the family computers and am not sure if I have identified the correct compatable items. Is there anybody that can help?

Option 1
Router DG834g with a laptop adapter (WG511), pc adapter (WG311) and a USB 2 adapter (WG111). These seem to be 54 Mbps 802.11g but I have also come across..

Option 2
a WGT624 with a laptop adapter (WG511T), pc adapter (WG311T). These seem to be 100-108 Mbps 802.11g+.

Are the above options right for my home system, I assume the 624 is merely the faster option. I think the USB 2 adapter (WG111) is only intended for the DG834, but will it operate on the faster system?

Thanks to anybody that can help.

Noelg23 15:15 28 Sep 04

well Im not really a wireless techie...but have you been to click here and check out there? they give info on how to setup connections and whats best for the setup you want...but I would wait for someone who has had the same experience...

hillybilly 15:41 28 Sep 04

Option 2 is just a bit faster but if your using the system to access the internet at best your internet speed will only be 2MB?

Iv'e been running most of option 1 on two seprate systems for six months with no problems.

ackers1973 19:23 28 Sep 04

at present i am using a dlink with a rj45 cable linking to a belkin access point and it seems to work fine.
be cautious of hackers
you will need to set mac address filtering
and wep
but dont fret its very easy (even i can manage it) as it is all web based.
rgds
mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos