help with wireless

luddite2 12:53 24 Aug 05

Can anyone spare the time to help me with the following please.
I want to provide an internet link to 5 rooms in one property.

I'm told I need a wireless router.

Ideally I want to hard-wire one room and wireless the others. Can all the pc's work independently or does there need to be a slave pc always switched on? I'd prefer the 5 units to all be stand alone.

Do I need a modem incorporated with the router. And a splitter?

Is the kit normally easy to set up because I'm not an IT buff as you can tell!

I expect there would be a mix of pc's and lap tops. What would they need to link to the system?

Does the wired connection need a plug-in box in the room or just the wire end? And what sort of cable is needed?

Can you suggest the best products (and cheapest!) that will meet my needs please. Reliability is also important.

Is there a certain type of incoming phone line needed? Currently its a standard BT phone line.

Thanks for any assistance.

Diodorus Siculus 15:31 24 Aug 05

Maybe you should have stayed in the helproom - that's where I saw this first :-}

Anyway, I'm going with the basics:

You need a broadband enabled line and a broadband ISP and for this you need to live in a braodband enabled area.

To connect to the net you are best with a modem / router in one: click here
PC World - D-LINK DSL-904 WIRELESS NETWORKING - This is what I was recommended and use now.

I connect the router to the phone socket with a microfilter. The router is also connected to the PC in my office via a cable.

Downstairs I have another PC which has a USB wireless antenna connected - this picks up the signal from the router in my main office.

In my bedroom I have my laptop and connect wirelessly to that to listen to radio and check mails etc.

Any friends who come can also use it on my spare laptop.

All, any or none of these can be connected at any time. There is no need for any individual PC to be switched on as long as the router/modem is on. As it happens, my main PC runs 24-7 but there is no reason for that other than that I want it to.

The modem/router that I suggested above has enough to connect to the main PC and also one wireless antenna. Depending on the PCs that you have, you can either get USB or PCI (interal) or (for laptops) PCMCIA antenae.

Hope this has not made you even more confused!

And yes, it is pretty straightforward to setup!

Diodorus Siculus 15:32 24 Aug 05

By the way, if you choose to buy the above and buy from PCWorld you can order it to be collected from your local store and you only pay the webprice.

luddite2 15:59 24 Aug 05

Thanks for the response,
The unit you mention, DSL 904, does not seem to incorporate a modem. Is this something I need?
I presume it needs to be between the router and the incoming line, the modem units in the computers then basically being defunct?

Does the hard wired connection just plug into a port on the pc/laptop?

Incidently, I presume you are related to that Greek traveller and writer of yore?!

Diodorus Siculus 16:18 24 Aug 05

The above mentioned package is a modem / router in one. [see below]

[quote] Does the hard wired connection just plug into a port on the pc/laptop?[/quote] Yes, into a network port on the PC - it is like a modem port but a little bigger. If you don't have one, you can add a network card.

The modem in the PC will no longer be needed - disconnect from the phone line but leave for emergency use. My BT Business Broadband was down today for the first time (only a couple of hours, but it does happen :-( ...)

The D-link DSL-904 network bundle provides you with the tools to set up your wireless broadband network in your home. The bundle makes it easy to make your house a wireless networked home, allowing you to transfer files between PCs, use a laptop anywhere in the house, or play multiplayer games; all with integrated security.

· DSL-G604T: Wireless 54Mbps Router with 4-Port Switch
· DWL-G122: Wireless 54Mbps Pocket Size USB 2.0 Adapter
· UK Microfilter

The DSL-G604T is an ADSL Router designed for home or small office use. This router lets you quickly and easily connect to high-speed broadband Internet and share your ADSL line. With a built-in ADSL interface, 802.11g high-speed wireless LAN, Ethernet switch ports and advanced router functions; this router gives you a convenient and cost-effective way to install a secure, fast network with bottleneck-free link to the outside world.

The router also provides you with peace of mind with both NAT and Virtual Private Network (VPN) support, which will separate your Internal and external access and prevent attacks from hackers.

The DSL-G604T is an all-in-one ADSL router, which includes a 4-port Ethernet switch and a 54mbps 802.11G wireless port.

The DWL-G122 is a high-performance 802.11g wireless LAN USB adapter that connects your computer to a high-speed wireless LAN. This adapter simply plugs to your computer through a USB 2.0 interface to provide up to 54Mbps wireless speed. With industry standard interoperability, backward compatibility with 802.11b devices and plug-and-play installation, this adapter is an ideal solution for notebook and laptop PC users needing a fast mobile network connection. You can easily connect to a second desktop or another laptop in your home with a second USB adapter or wireless PC card installed (available separately).

The bundle also includes a microfilter used to split the ADSL line to support PTSN and data transmission.[/quote]

PS I took the name from a guy whose writing I was aked to translate in my first year's uni exams in Greek... the name has stuck with me ever since even though the language is rapidly deteriorating due to lack of use!

luddite2 16:46 24 Aug 05

I'm very grateful for your assistance.

Can I take it that each of the pc's work independantly of each other in that each user will be able to access the internet but will not be able to 'oversee' what any other user is doing. Nor will be able to access files on any other unit?
I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I'm seeking multiple access to the web but with each unit being secure from each other (not networked?)
Trust this makes sense.

Diodorus Siculus 17:01 24 Aug 05

Yes, the machines are not connected to one another - only to the router and hence the internet. You cannot access any one machine from another unless you specifically set up a network (and that's not easy!).

They will be secure and you can set up encryption so that no one outside can connect to your wireless signal.

Taff36 21:00 24 Aug 05

Diodorus - Setting up the network isn`t that difficult! (That`s what we do here!)

Luddite - I recommended the router to Diodorus because I`ve set up 3 personally and several on the forum. It can be a bit difficult but only because the "destructions" that come with the router aren`t that good but we`ll post if you get stuck. The D-Link is exceptional value as a package - believe it or not to buy the router on it`s own from PC World was (and probably still is) more expensive! There seems to be a trend on the Network Forum for Netgear - have a look at the thread titles - one model comes up all the time - avoid it!

Diodorus Siculus 22:25 24 Aug 05

I think that I should point out that Taff36 is the one whom I have to thank for the recommendation for the router and whose private correspondence has kept me from going crazy in setting it all up.

But it is "not that difficult" once one has a good guide!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…