Help - Windows XP Search

garrywatson 10:29 06 Feb 06

Hi all,

I'm currently enccountering a problem whereby whenever I try to tun search in Windows XP Pro, the whole syssteem loccks out and I have to reboot in order to resolve the issue. CPU usage seems rro remain steady at around 60%, but the whole thing locks......

Can anyone give any advice?

Cheers

Diodorus Siculus 10:31 06 Feb 06

click here
scannow sfc - how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker)

garrywatson 10:38 06 Feb 06

Diodorus, thanks for the response. Have tried to run 'scannow' but nothing happens. No error message saying command not found, but no message to say tha it is running ........

garrywatson 10:40 06 Feb 06

had a space betwween slash and command !!

garrywatson 11:03 06 Feb 06

I've run scannow and nothing was found ......... Any other offers?

Diversion 14:49 06 Feb 06

You could try a system restore to a point before the problem occurred.

Stuartli 15:24 06 Feb 06

Check from Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components that the Indexing Service has not been inadvertently deleted.

If so, tick the box. You may need to have your XP disk handy.

garrywatson 17:36 06 Feb 06

Hi Stuart,

Sorry for the delay in replying, but just got back. The Indexing Service WAS unchecked. When I checked it and said next the system went through the motion and said finished. However, on looking at the setting again, although checked the size of the file was showing as zero and the Search function still freezes the PC.

Any offers?

Stuartli 18:13 06 Feb 06

If you go to:

click here

and enter Restore Search on the Start Menu in the Fixes for Windows XP box you can download a Registry fix.

Kelly is a very clever lassie and contributes articles regularly to the Microsoft Support pages.

Stuartli 18:15 06 Feb 06

You have to scroll about halfway down the page and click on the Restore Search etc from the drop down menu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…