Help with Windows XP Pro recovery please

Never again 11:50 04 Aug 06

My friend has brought her pc into work as it will not boot and has the error mesage that "windows will not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \windows\system32\config\system. you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original cdrom. Select r at the first screen to start repair.

I have followed the instructions - but windows recovery console does not appear to work and looks difficult to use.i gather that I might be able to copy the file from the cd to the c drive but don't know the language to do this.

I have read a few other threads that appear to have similar problems but the common theme missing is that I never get an option to repair - only reinstall on my c drive and she has not backed up any of her documents, etc and would therefore lose them all.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.

VoG II 11:59 04 Aug 06

click here should help.

Never again 12:20 04 Aug 06

I am doing the manual thing as the ofending pc will not boot and therefore the guided help can't work.

at step 5 when you start typing the pc tells me that a temporary file already exists and then after typing in the first long line and pressing enter I get the message that the system cannot find the file or directory specified.

It then goes back to the C:\windows prompt

Am I missing something obvious?

Never again 12:38 04 Aug 06

Sorry - I typed temp instead of tmp.

It's working now - I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again

Never again 12:53 04 Aug 06

After following the first steps in the procedure I rebooted as instructed and am now faced with an administrator password request.

My friend tells me that she did not have a password.

what do I do next?

VoG II 12:54 04 Aug 06

Leave the box blank and press Enter.

mattyc_92 12:56 04 Aug 06

Just leave the password field empty and press "Enter" on the keyboard :-)

Never again 12:57 04 Aug 06

Its asking me if I forgot my password.

I have already tried Administrator and administrator - have I made a mistake?

mattyc_92 13:00 04 Aug 06

Are you in "Safe Mode"?

Never again 13:03 04 Aug 06

no - the way that i read the instructions is that I thought that I had to restart and then shut down and go into safe mode?

shall I just turn off and select restart and do the f8 thing?

mattyc_92 13:05 04 Aug 06

ok..... So your in "Normal Mode?"

Just log on as a "Administrative" account... For example if you have a account called "Never Again", and it has administrative rights, just log into that one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…