Help with windows password please

Never again 07:39 25 Jun 04

I have a celeron 500 running win 98se with 128mb ram.

Every time I boot I get the windows password prompt, which I wan't to stop.

I have researched the old threads for previous solutions, eg selected windows logon from the network settings and deleted all the pwl files and then rebooted but I still keep getting the windows password prompt.

Am I missing something?

Please help as this is driving me nuts.

MichelleC 10:12 25 Jun 04

Try this:

Password log-in- disabling

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Passwords and tick the little button which says "All users use the same preferences", click OK and you should be asked to re-boot, do so. When you have re-booted the Log-on box will appear again, this time enter your name but don't enter a password leave it blank, don't even click on the password field, then click OK (NOT Cancel)and Windows should load. Now go to Start > Shutdown and re-boot again. This time the Log-on box shouldn't appear.

In Control Panel > network properties: Make sure the logon type is set to "Windows Logon"

Do a search for *.PWL and delete all results

Delete "C:\Windows\Profiles" folder

Now when you reboot you should get a screen that says you can enter no password (but a username is required) and it will not pop up anymore.

Never again 16:47 25 Jun 04

Thanks for your reply

I already made sure that the password settings in control panel were "that everyone uses the same",and that windows logon was selected in network settings and also deleted all the pwl files, but I didn't delete the profiles folder.

I'm not at this pc until monday now, so I'll give it a go then.

Thanks again

Never again 05:22 26 Jun 04

Your advice did not work I'm afraid.

There was no "windows profiles" folder to delete, and the cursor is already flashing in the password box. I clicked it off and restarted but it was still in the password box on reboot.

Each time I restart the pwl files is recreated in the windows folder.

It's still driving me nuts

Dan the Confused 05:48 26 Jun 04
  ened 06:23 26 Jun 04

To remove the password in 98 you need to change the password and then leave both the fields (New Password & Confirm New Passsword) blank.

Never again 07:11 26 Jun 04

The problem is now resolved.

Dan's link was spot on and I would recommend this as the ultimate solution, even though I had to work through to the last option.

ened's solution is covered in dans link, but thanks anyway.

My sanity can now be temporarily restored.

Thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…