Help Windows 98 lost system restore

User-324448 13:15 13 Jun 08

Hello every one its ages since I was in trouble but this one has me baffled. In Windows 98 the scanner was suddely not recognised although had been used a lot earlier, right we will do a system restore as an easy way out. Wrong the system restore has dissapeared from its usual place in system tools and cannot be found anywhere else. so a few questions. where is it and how do we get it back?
Important farm records are on the computer, if Windows 98 is re installed from a CD that is not the origanal will all the information now on the computer remain and would this be a quick repair?

PO79 13:30 13 Jun 08

Windows 98 does not have a system restore function, this was first introduced in Windows ME. If you format and re-install all your information will be lost.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:37 13 Jun 08

DO NOT REINSTALL as you will lose all info.

Have you backed up your data? IF NOT THEN DO IT NOW!

Assuming the scanner is USB try refreshing the Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let windows find and install new hardware. make sure you have the drivers ready for your scanner.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

PO79 13:45 13 Jun 08

After you try Fruit Bat's excellent advice, if it does not work, try booting to safe mode with command prompt and typing "scanreg /restore" without the quotes. This will give a list of five or so previous registry restore dates, select an earlier date, press enter and reboot, this may help, but it's a last resort option.

Stuartli 14:01 13 Jun 08

Windows 98SE DID have a "System Restore" as PO79 suggests.

You could increase the figure of five previously saved registry entries if necessary.

To elaborate on [email protected] advice:

Start system. Hold the Ctrl key down until the window is in Safe mode). A menu should appear including Normal (1), Safe (3) and Command Line Prompt (5). Choose the Command Line Prompt by hitting the keyboard's 5 key.

At the C:\ prompt, type in:

scanreg /restore

(note the space)

Press Enter

A list of dates will appear; choose the most recent date before any problems and hit Restore.

To read more about the subject see:

click here

Stuartli 14:02 13 Jun 08

scanreg /restore saved me a lot of time during my constant battle over a number of years to keep Windows 98SE running reasonably smoothly...:-)

XP Pro is a doddle in comparison.

User-324448 16:30 13 Jun 08

Once again you have got my problems sorted, Thanks to all of you for your input,Prof

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…