Help Where to find Start up disk

Help please where to make a copy of a start up disc for windows 98...also can you tell me what NTLD or NTDL means......

Many Thanks

theboss/Joy

beeuuem 01:48 18 Nov 05

If you have 98 installed you can create the disk from Start> Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk tab.

Or you can download the bootdisk from click here

From click here
Short for NT Loader, a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Windows NT load.

Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The message appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

rawprawn 08:06 18 Nov 05

Did you format your old XP to FAT ?

Many thanks for the help i am getting......I downloaded a win/98 startup...to floppy....when i tried it its coming up as a currupt file....

theboss/joy

rawprawn 11:51 18 Nov 05

Try downloading it again onto your HD, then copy it to a floppy.

rawprawn 11:54 18 Nov 05

Make sure the Bios are set to boot from floppy.

Will try it again...thanks for your help

theboss/joy

sorry about this i meant to have asked you before guess the brain is getting tired....:-)

On the site to get the start up from has different ones for 98....can you tell me please which one just incase i have been getting it wrong......

theboss/joy

rawprawn 12:52 18 Nov 05

As you know I am not really into Win 98, I would wait for beeuuem to come back.

Hi rawprawn...yes i can wait.....got shopping anyway .....

My problem now is....I dont know if the disc i did for booting win/98 is running any way.....I had to reboot with the XP cd...should have known i would get problems.....cause now when i put the 98cd in...hoping it will start up like xp did...all i get is the message....NTLDR is missing.......Look forward to some more help please...I am almost 99%sure it was formatted to fat32...I dont understand splitting hard drives so i dont go there..................

theboss/Joy

rawprawn 15:03 18 Nov 05

Firstly I can't understand why you want to revert from XP to 90. However following your last post, note what beeuuem says.
"Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The message appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.
I would have thought if you follow those instructions you will get where you want to be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5