Help Where to find Start up disk

Help please where to make a copy of a start up disc for windows 98...also can you tell me what NTLD or NTDL means......

Many Thanks

theboss/Joy

beeuuem 01:48 18 Nov 05

If you have 98 installed you can create the disk from Start> Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk tab.

Or you can download the bootdisk from click here

From click here
Short for NT Loader, a program loaded from the hard drive boot sector that displays the Microsoft Windows NT startup menu and helps Windows NT load.

Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The message appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.

rawprawn 08:06 18 Nov 05

Did you format your old XP to FAT ?

Many thanks for the help i am getting......I downloaded a win/98 startup...to floppy....when i tried it its coming up as a currupt file....

theboss/joy

rawprawn 11:51 18 Nov 05

Try downloading it again onto your HD, then copy it to a floppy.

rawprawn 11:54 18 Nov 05

Make sure the Bios are set to boot from floppy.

Will try it again...thanks for your help

theboss/joy

sorry about this i meant to have asked you before guess the brain is getting tired....:-)

On the site to get the start up from has different ones for 98....can you tell me please which one just incase i have been getting it wrong......

theboss/joy

rawprawn 12:52 18 Nov 05

As you know I am not really into Win 98, I would wait for beeuuem to come back.

Hi rawprawn...yes i can wait.....got shopping anyway .....

My problem now is....I dont know if the disc i did for booting win/98 is running any way.....I had to reboot with the XP cd...should have known i would get problems.....cause now when i put the 98cd in...hoping it will start up like xp did...all i get is the message....NTLDR is missing.......Look forward to some more help please...I am almost 99%sure it was formatted to fat32...I dont understand splitting hard drives so i dont go there..................

theboss/Joy

rawprawn 15:03 18 Nov 05

Firstly I can't understand why you want to revert from XP to 90. However following your last post, note what beeuuem says.
"Often a user will see the message "NTLDR is Missing" after attempting to install Windows 2000 or Windows XP, or upgrade a Windows 95-based or Windows 98-based computer to Windows 2000 or Windows XP. The message appears after the first reboot. This occurs only if Windows 95 or 98 has been installed on a drive with the FAT32 file system.

To correct the problem, the user must boot the computer with a Windows 95 or 98 Startup diskette or another bootable diskette with sys.com on it. Then, at the "A:\>" prompt, type "sys c:" and press "enter." A "System Transferred" prompt should appear and then the user must reboot the computer without the diskette.
I would have thought if you follow those instructions you will get where you want to be.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…