HELP What have I done

TERCOL 21:06 26 Dec 09

I have been trying to speed up my pc which is taking 20/30 minutes to open IE and on the advice of a friend who said to go to Start-run type msconfig and disable some of the programs running in background i did open run etc but instead of clicking the start up tab I clicked on Services tab then clicked disable all,after the restart etc I knew something was wrong as the task bar which Is usually a shade of Blue was all White, and no way would the pc attemt to log on to the net, just comimg up with the following message.
An error has occurred.error;'null' is null or not an object,page: file://d\smart access\common\snapins\installer\sma_insttype.htm line 27.I have been going thru the misconfig page most of the day trying to put thing right but to no avail,so I may have done more damage. Luckily I can get on to the net via my wireless laptop so am able to beg forhelp,in simple terms as possible as you can tell what a simpleton I am having done what i have done already, thanking you In advance Tercol

AL47 21:11 26 Dec 09

you can only turn certain things off!

uve cut off ur internet and disabled aero for a start

jamesd1981 21:18 26 Dec 09

try doing ur msconfig again mate and re tick everything then restart that sould fix what uv done in there has ur pc had a gud clean out and defrag lately

AL47 21:23 26 Dec 09

what OS?

iambeavis 21:23 26 Dec 09

Go to Start > run, type > services.msc and when the services tab opens restart all the services. You can find all the service configurations for your particular OS on "Black Viper's" website - click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:25 26 Dec 09

Reboot and windows will restart all the services

AL47 21:28 26 Dec 09

that was the link i was gonna post too

User-1229748 21:29 26 Dec 09

will it not start in safe mode?if not try the bios to load set up defaults

User-1229748 21:37 26 Dec 09

sorry i thought it wasn't booting at all

iambeavis 21:48 26 Dec 09

Yes, it's a handy little site.

TERCOL 22:13 26 Dec 09

In answer to most of your help answers, I defragged 3 days ago, I have re-enabled all items In services but still no go,I am running xp home, Have tried system restore but all restore point gone,the computer does boot up but still slow and as I said b4, HELLISH slow when i was trying to get on the net, hence the mess I am In having done what I have done, have had a look at the link for the configuration fix but It looks a bit daunting , but will have a better look tomorrow as Its now got bedtime, will be back In touch sunday, goodnight all.
tercol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017