Help with a weird DirectX problem please

HermanBloom 09:35 26 May 04

My Radeon Pro is going back to e-buyer as I am still getting crashes after a re-format. However, I still have one problem that I have yet to fix.

Before the re-format I was getting this from dxdiag:

DirectX Files Tab: Several files (Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3D.dll, Microsoft.DirectX.DirectDraw.dll, Microsoft.DirectX.DirectInput.dll, etc.) are missing! You should reinstall DirectX to get the latest version.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Music Tab: No problems found.
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

Now despite trying to re-install DirectX from Windows update, and also from a coverdisk, the problem did not go away until the reformat.

Once the reformat was complete, dxdiag said there was no problems. I then updated my drivers and it was still ok.

I then did two things. I updated directX via windows update with the DirectX 9.0b end-user runtime file, and I installed a demo of Kill.Switch from a coverdisc. Halfway throhgh the demo the PC crashed, so I am sending the card back to eBuyer. BUT, when I run dxdiag now, the same message as above pops up. Once again, a re-install of DirectX has not solved this problem.

I am at a complete loss. How are these files going missing? Can they dissapear as a result of the crash? If not, surely the update from Windows can't have messed it up, and even if it has, why can I not re-install the damn thing?

I have the whole dxdiag thing if you want, but all other sections report no problems.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be, what is causing it, and what I can do to solve it? Surely I don't have to do a reformat everytime this thing happens?

HermanBloom 09:36 26 May 04

Sorry guys, that post was properly formatted when I typed it :confused:

Lozzy 09:46 26 May 04

It sound to me that the CD demo that your installing is the culprit. DirectX is an integeral part of Windows so yes you may in the end have to re format. However I would suggest before re formatting that you go to click here and down load this version of DX but be aware it 35mb in size.

HermanBloom 09:57 26 May 04

I will try that thanks. The problem with your suggestion is that the error message also happened before the reformat, and I had not used this coverdisk until AFTER the reformat.

I will download that at lunchtime though and give it a go. Thanks

HermanBloom 14:01 26 May 04

Anyone else have any ideas?

HermanBloom 18:18 26 May 04

Well I tried that and still the same error appears. Is there really no-one else who has any suggestions?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…