help wanted please - pc broken

Super Frankie Lamps 16:29 13 Dec 06

please help, my son's computer (13 month old Dell) has suddenly and with no explanation stopped booting up and shows the following error message :

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer.If this screen appears again follow these steps :

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation ask your hardware of software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup options and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information :

***STOP: 0x000000ED6 (0x8678C900,0xC0000006,0x00000000,0x00000000)

now i have no new s/w or h/w installed, all the updates are current from MS. I cannot start in last known good configuration, if i try that then the same error message appears except the code just inside the brackets changes to 0x86755900.

if i try to start in Safe Mode, the pc scrolls a list of windows drivers the reverts to the blue error screen again with the same message except this time the code just inside the brackets is 0x86772C08.

Obviously i think there is something seriously wrong here, but i need help. as this system is 13 months old i think i am out of my Dell warranty.

rawprawn 16:38 13 Dec 06

click here see if this helps.

Gapper 16:47 13 Dec 06

HI i had the same problem
I was told i had a hardware failure on my hard drive i changed my hard drive and it's worked ever since

Super Frankie Lamps 16:57 13 Dec 06

gonna be a tiny bit disappointed if h/d failed after 13 mths, but obviously possible

Super Frankie Lamps 16:59 13 Dec 06

might help, thanks. just trying to get my head around what it is saying

chub_tor 17:05 13 Dec 06

I'm with rawprawn on this one, I don't think that it is a hard drive failure. The microsoft help article looks pretty straightforward and I would recommend that you give it a go and report back.

Super Frankie Lamps 19:43 13 Dec 06

thanks for that link. gonna speak to dell to get system cd and hope that can fix it. i have no idea if i have a 40 or 80 wire connector or whether the pc uses a UDMA, so i gotta get more info first.

chub_tor 19:31 14 Dec 06

If the computer is only 13 months old then you almost certainly have an 80 wire connector and a UDMA hard drive. I think that it is far more likely to be a damaged file system and I would try the Microsoft solution for Damaged File System first. You have nothing to lose by doing so as long as you are not asked to partition or format the drive as this would wipe out everything on your hard disk.

smy13 20:39 14 Dec 06

With a 13 mth old Dell inspiron 6000 turns out the Hard drive had gone. When I went to buy one to fit from my local PC shop the owner told me that he a had 2 of the same model in that week with the same problem. and it seemed to be a bit of a issue with dells lately

skidzy 20:50 14 Dec 06

Something for you to try if no joy with the other suggestions.

Most Dells have a hidden partition with your windows on. Also may have an option for repair.Now if this a hardware fault i doubt this can be repaired by the windows partition,however press F11 on startup and you will be given 3 options one of these is a repair option...try this.

This assuming you have the partition availible.

You may not even be able to get into F11 as this looks like a failed harddrive but its worth a go.

Good luck

woodchip 21:23 14 Dec 06

The master boot record is Corrupt. Download XP boot disc from click here After downloading the File, you need six floppy discs Double Click on the File and put a Disc in. Start comp with Disc, It prompts for other discs. Start with Number one disc, You need to get to a Prompt like C:\> to type in

FIXMBR so it rewrites the Master Boot Record from the Good Copy on the Drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…