Help with VLOOKUP

jediknight007 14:16 08 Mar 03

Hi, I am having some trouble about how to use VLOOKUP in Microsoft Excel. It might seem really easy for a lot of people but I don't understand the values that you have to enter like the data and which specific parts you highlight etc... Does anyone know a site where I can get some useful information about VLOOKUP and also some other stuff which I might find useful for my assignment?

Also, does anyone know where I can also learn a bit about how to use Microsoft Access? I have been using Excel for years to do my stuff but hav never touched upon Access. All I know really is that you enter some fields and then enter some data to create a database.

Any help would be very much appreicated. Cheers.

bremner 14:20 08 Mar 03

click here for some help

VoG™ 14:40 08 Mar 03
  AndyJ 14:40 08 Mar 03

Download this cracking dictionary. It's extremely good at explaining Excel functions etc click here

jediknight007 14:45 08 Mar 03

Thanks everyone. Will surely have a look at all of them.

jediknight007 15:46 08 Mar 03

How do I create a drop down menu in a cell in Excel like you find on websites? I want to create one for a list of the different mobile phone tariffs so that when one is selected, the information such as the peak charge are displayed.

VoG™ 15:54 08 Mar 03

View/Toolbars/Forms to display the Forms toolbar.

Hover the cursor over the toolbar buttons (to display tooltips) and select "Combo box" - use the cursor to produce the box the size you want on the worksheet.

Right click youe combo box and select Format Control

On the Control tab, enter the range where you have your data in "Input range" and the cell where you want the selection displayed in "Cell link". Set "Drop down lines" to whatever you want. Tick "3D Shading", then OK.

Voila!

jediknight007 16:06 08 Mar 03

Is there a way to make the combo box more tidy by putting it exactly into the cell instead of using the selector to draw the size of it? It doesn't click into place.

VoG™ 16:11 08 Mar 03

If you hold down CTRL then left click to select it, you can then use the mouse or the arrow keys to move it. I don't know of a way of getting it to "snap" exactly into a cell - it's a bit hit and miss.

jediknight007 16:22 08 Mar 03

Cheers, I have managed it now simply by adjusting the width and height of the cell. Thanks anyways. Now onto VLOOKUP now which still seems a bit confusing since none of the examples I have seen so far involve a combo box and VLOOKUP.

VoG™ 16:28 08 Mar 03

Lets say your "Cell Link" is A1

Your VLOOKUP formula would look something like:

=VLOOKUP(A1,F4:G20,2,FALSE)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…