Help with Vista specs - PLEASE!

Currantbun 16:48 27 Apr 07

Hey guys! It's my little sisters wedding next weekend and as a gift i'm getting her a laptop. It'll be used mainly for web browsing, music and photos. My price limit is £400.

1. I have a dual-core processor, she'll probably be getting a celeron M, is there much difference when used for the above.

2. Will there be a noticeable difference for her between Vista basic and premium.

3. Will 1G RAM be ok.

4. Anything else i should be aware of before purchasing?

Cheers...

Kate B 17:36 27 Apr 07

Yes, the Celeron range is old and single core and slower than your dual-core processor.

Yes, Vista basic doesn't have the Aero interface, but I suspect a £400 laptop would struggle with Aero anyway.

1GB of Ram will be enough - it'll have to be, I doubt you'd get more at that price point.

That's a very low budget for a laptop. Buy online rather than at somewhere like PC World; and have a look at the Dell Outlet.

anskyber 18:34 27 Apr 07

Ditto.

donki 19:27 27 Apr 07

Just remember Vista may be new and looks loverly but with that spec id go for XP just for the perfomance aspect. From experience there is nothing worse than a slow operating system, its like a domino affect, everything else u try to do will be slow.For example ur trying to surf the net for research while writing a document and everything freezes, the laptop can very quickly find its way out of the window.

It stay well away from anything celeron, its one of the oldest processors available!

Currantbun 23:39 27 Apr 07

Cheers guys.

Probably swap Vista for the dual-core processor. Maybe get her Vista for christmas! I know the budget is pretty tight but this won't be used for serious stuff, mainly web browsing.

So one final question, any difference between AMD Turion 64x2 and the Intel Dual-core?

Currantbun 00:14 28 Apr 07

Can anyone please tell me if this laptop is any good.....

Packard Bell MZ36-R-017
60G
Vista Premium
Intel Core Duo T2250
2MB Cache
512MB RAM
£430 Dixons

The RAM sounds abit low, how would that affect the performance?

anskyber 09:51 28 Apr 07

The RAM is a bit tight, Ideally go for no less than 1 gig for Vista.

anskyber 10:06 28 Apr 07

sometimes you can "haggle" a good deal from here. click here I have a Dell and so do several in my family.

skidzy 18:18 30 Apr 07

Bang on budget with Vista premium and a gig of ram click here

Currantbun 17:04 01 May 07

Cheers guys.

Thanks to your advice i did spend a tad more than i meant to but it'll be worth it.

Went into the local Comet to get the laptop you advised Skidzy but they didn't have it so go the next one up which was dual-core.

Thanks again....

Sebastian Ereira 22:01 01 May 07

good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009