Help!!! Virus Attack on friends Dell Vista Laptop!

julius44 07:39 16 Jul 09

Hello there my friend has given me her Dell vista laptop to try and help her to restore it to factory settings...but i'm having problems doing this for her. The laptop will no longer load as it just hangs even in safe mode as well, so we wish to just restore to factory settings, then i'd just install some good internet security for her....I've read somewhere that shift/control F11 does not work for vista dell laptops.....cos i cant seem to get it to work that way. Shes only had the laptop for about 18 months now....hence urgent help is required. I have the operating system reinstallation cd with me as well. I've promised her that i'll sort out this laptop for her.....as she cannot currently afford a new one..........So i'm looking to sort this out for her asap!!!

rawprawn 08:00 16 Jul 09

Why not use the OS CD to reinstall? there may not be a recovery partition.

rawprawn 08:01 16 Jul 09

What model is it?

julius44 08:23 16 Jul 09

hello rawprawn............its a dell Inspiron 1720

click here

I just need to know how to get it working again pls...much appreciated for your time

oldbeefer2 09:23 16 Jul 09

Tap F8 as the computer starts. manual here click here if you want to have a look.

rawprawn 09:49 16 Jul 09

Thanks oldbeefer2, that should be just what he needs.

julius44 11:39 16 Jul 09

I keep tapping F8 when the laptop starts...immediately dell logo appears, BUT it goes to the advanced Boot options......etc....not the factory restore settings that i need!!!! Is there something that i'm doing wrong??? do i need to press f8 and shift or ctrl as well???

hiwatt 11:56 16 Jul 09

Wait to the computer beeps before you start tapping f8(just after the dell logo)

julius44 12:00 16 Jul 09

Hello hiwatt....i'm on the advanced Boot options menu....but there is NO Option that says repair your computer..as it seems thats the option that i should be seeing....if someone can guide me in right direction that would be much appreciated

oldbeefer2 12:11 16 Jul 09

Check page 136 of the guide I gave you and see if that helps - it did with my dell laptop.

julius44 12:22 16 Jul 09

hi there oldbeefer to....thanks for manual link...it says on page 136...get to Advanced boot options menu, with F8, which I have done, .....and then it says select repair your computer, on the advanced boot options menu....I do not seem to have Repair your computer.
All i have is the following options:
Safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe mode with command prompt

Enable Boot logging
Enable low resolution video(640x480)
Last known good configuration(advanced)
Directory services restore mode
Debugging mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable driver signature enforcment

Start windows normally.

I'm def on Advanced boot options screen.....so is there something i'm missing here?? There is def no option that just says repair your computer/restore to factory settings.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac