help virgin media broadband tried to go wireless

srobbo 23:24 30 Jan 08

help please tried to convert my other halfs nans broadband connection to wireless. This is where the problems started.

1) Bought a belkin wireless router as recommended on here but could not get it to work wireless

2) purchased a wireless adapter for the computer after presuming the computer was not wireless compatible

3)lost my temper, lost the whole internet connection. After trying to change the settings on the belkin router.

4)pls help as u will havbe gathered im a bloody amatuer wish id never offered. Help help

MAJ 23:54 30 Jan 08

"1) Bought a belkin wireless router as recommended on here but could not get it to work wireless"

Did it work okay when you had it connected to the PC via the ethernet cable?

"2) purchased a wireless adapter for the computer after presuming the computer was not wireless compatible"

The PC probably isn't wireless, so you did the correct thing buying a wireless adapter. Is it a PCI or USB wireless adapter? Post the make and model of the router and the wireless adapter.

"3)lost my temper, lost the whole internet connection. After trying to change the settings on the belkin router."

Don't worry, we've all been there.

srobbo 00:12 31 Jan 08

buffalo WLI U2 KG54L is the wireless adapter make and model

wireless router is wireless g router dont know anymore than that left it at my other halfs nans tonight.

cheers for any help, really do appreciate it

MAJ 09:57 31 Jan 08

Did you manage to connect okay when the router was wired to the laptop via the ethernet cable, srobbo?

srobbo 17:17 31 Jan 08

Manag\ed to connect fine with the router to the desktop but could not go wireless so i purchased adapter. Set it up and i had a connection which said was wireless but when i unplugged the 30mtr cable from the modem to router the connection was lost.

I then replugged it and tried to change the settings on the router, connection went altogether.

So deperately need to get a connection back first so i can then change the settings

MAJ 17:54 31 Jan 08

As yours is a cable connection, srobbo, the modem needs to be connected to the modem all the time. It's the router that's disconnected from the PC in order to go wireless. If you had the router set up correctly (it sounds as if you had since you had a connection when wired), then you will have been asked at some stage of the installation to set up a security key. Where you asked to do that?

MAJ 17:55 31 Jan 08

"As yours is a cable connection, srobbo, the modem needs to be connected to the modem all the time."

Should read:

As yours is a cable connection, srobbo, the modem needs to be connected to the ROUTER all the time.

srobbo 23:06 31 Jan 08

oh ok. so once i have got the connection i take out the blue cable from the router to the computer. will it pick up the connection straight away or do i have to be patient.

Sorry Maj for being a pain, the main problem now though is that i have lost connection all together. i changed the internet settings on the router home page and lost all connections. I cant change these back because i have not got a clue and because to change the settings you have to be online.

What do i do, im due at my other halfs nans on saturday and the least i ve got to do is get a connection even if it is with the 30mtr cable that virgin supplied or i ll be out on the streets

MAJ 00:54 01 Feb 08

"oh ok. so once i have got the connection i take out the blue cable from the router to the computer. will it pick up the connection straight away or do i have to be patient."

that's correct, srobbo, take out that blue ethernet cable when you have the connection set up on the router. Then install the wireles adapter's software (if you haven't already), connect the adapter to the PC'S usb port and it should pick up the wireless signal from the router and ask you to enter the wireless security key, if you set one up, if you didn't set one up, you should. But let's get it connecting first.

Next thing is, srobbo, you don't have to be online to change the router's settings, the settings page is in the router not on the internet. To access the router's setup page, attach the router to the PC with the blue ethernet cable and type the address of the router's setup page into your browser. The address will be something like 192.168.1.1 You can find that address in a number of places:

1. In the router's manual.
2. On the bottom or side of the router.
3. Or by going to Start > Run, type "CMD" (without the quote marks) and click OK. Then in the CMD box type "ipconfig" (without the quote marks) and press Return. The router's address will be under the heading "Default Gateway".

Then correct the changes you made and you should be able to connect.

MAJ 01:05 01 Feb 08

When you type the router's address into your browser, you will be asked for a password and a username, srobbo. This is the username and password for your router, not your ISP (Virgin), you will find the default username and password in the router's manual. As you can't remember the make and model of the router offhand, I can't tell you what they are specifically but they will be something like "admin" for the username and possibly "admin" again for the password, it depends on the router. You might also find those printed on the bottom of the router.

srobbo 18:01 01 Feb 08

THE BELKIN ROUTER IS A G ROUTER F5D7230-4. ANY MORE ASSISTANCE WOULD BE FANTASTIC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now