Help with USB problem please

Bagsey 14:05 23 Dec 07

I have bought a USB turntable to put all of my old records and tapes onto cd. I am so far unable to get the turntable to be recognised by my computer. I am running XP Home with SP2 .
I thought that I had bought a bad machine and was going to take it back to Maplins, but I have tried it on my friends computer which is running his turnable (same make and model) and there is no problem with my turntable.There is no usb software supplied with the machine and I have installed all of the operating software supplied. I understand that it is supposed to be plug and play but I am asked to supply a software location each time I try to do a set up. I have also tried all of the various USB ports that I have on my computer. Can anyone please point me towards a solution to this very annoying problem. I should also say that I have a card reader that is supposed to read 4gig SD cards but I cant get that to work either so am stuck with using 1 gig cards on my camera. I wonder if these problems are connected.??

brundle 14:09 23 Dec 07

Get your XP CD, point the file requester to the I386 folder on the CD.

Bagsey 14:16 23 Dec 07

Gosh that was a quick esponse. Unfortunately I dont have a XP CD as such just the MESH disk which I believe sets things back to where they were when I got this computer. Unless you know differently>??

brundle 14:20 23 Dec 07

Some recovery disks use a proprietary format, others are just modified XP discs - take a look for an I386 folder just in case there is one.
Otherwise look for an I386 folder on the C: drive, if it's hidden you'll need to set Explorer to show hidden files click here. If it's not there, sometimes pointing the requester to c:\windows\system32 gets rid of them.

Bagsey 14:46 23 Dec 07

Tried that but still no joy. :-((

Stuartli 15:03 23 Dec 07

USB 2.0 drivers came first with XP Service Pack 1, but if you use Windows Update it should install new USB 2.0 drivers automatically.

Could also be worth checking for the latest motherboard drivers for your system.

More info at:

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:07 23 Dec 07

Refresh USB Ports
In device manager Uninstall EVERYTHING under the heading USB,
reboot the PC let XP find and install new hardware.
Your equipment should now be recognised.

woodchip 15:08 23 Dec 07

Turn you computer off at the wall socket, then press and hold Start button. Try restart and turntable

Bagsey 17:51 31 Dec 07

Now that the Christmas mad house is over I can once again try to get my new USB turntable to start working. I have tried everything that I know but have failed to get it to work on my computer. It keeps telling me that it is looking for a USB Audio Codec but it cant find one on my computer. Where should it be and where can I get one if my computer does not have one. Can anyone help please.

woodchip 17:54 31 Dec 07

You can download these from the net. click here=

MCE2K5 17:59 31 Dec 07

Read this, click here, Then Click Here, click here A FIX.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…