help with a usb modem/router pleeeease!!

foysol-1231457 22:20 18 Jan 08

hi, i have a cable internet connection and want to create a wireless network. I purchased a router and upon installation it tells me to disconnect the ethernet wire between my modem and pc and connect it to the router. The problem is my modem is connected to the pc via a usb link. Someone told me to purchase another modem with a built in router but these seem to only be for ADSL so they wont have the reguired port for a 'screw-in' cable wire. Does anybody know what i can do??

ambra4 00:43 19 Jan 08

“The problem is my modem is connected to the pc via a usb link”

Are you sure that the modem do not have an Ethernet Port check at the back of modem

What is the Make and Model No of cable modem you have?

Call your cable company and request an Ethernet port replacement modem for your USB type

If they will not replace the USB modem you might have to purchase a cable modem with an Ethernet port

setecio 10:56 19 Jan 08

I think you will find that your cable modem also has an ethernet port. You need to buy a wireless router for a cable setup and NOT for an adsl setup.

foysol-1231457 12:48 20 Jan 08

hi, yes the modem does have a free ethernet port, does that mean that i could just connect a seperate ethernet wire between the modem and router? Also would i then have to still disconnect the usb link? sorry if I sound a bit 'simple' i just have no idea about these things. Thanks!

p.s the modem is a motorola surfboard sb5100

ambra4 14:00 20 Jan 08

Yes you disconnect the USB cable

Cable Modem To Router Set-Up

Power everything off, including the Cable Modem, which must be left without power for 15 minutes

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connections

(recognised by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

Connect an Ethernet Cable between the router's WAN Port and the Cable Modem's Ethernet Port.

Connect a second Ethernet Cable between the PC's network card port and Port 1 of the Router's LAN Ports

Power on the Cable Modem when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the Router when the router is fully up and running

Power on the computer and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognise a new connection and allocate an IP address to it.

Now launch your web browser and type the Router's IP address access code, which you will find in the manual, into the browser address bar

This will open the configuration pages to set up the router and wireless networking.

foysol-1231457 14:51 20 Jan 08

thanks so much! Ill be sure to let the people at PC world know after they recommended me to buy a £70 adsl router for no apparent reason.

regards

foysol-1231457 15:01 23 Jan 08

hi again, iv come across another 'hiccup', my network card in the PC doesn't have an Ethernet port, but has a fat aerial sticking out of it. Can i still connect to the router using this via the aerials or i do i need to fit in a network card with an Ethernet port? I tried to just connect the modem to the router and search for a wireless network but it doesn't register

ambra4 11:00 24 Jan 08

“My network card in the PC doesn't have an Ethernet port, but has a fat aerial sticking out of it.”

It looks like you have a wireless network card installed

If you want to hard wire the pc to the router you need to install an Ethernet card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…