Help with USB Hub

bear73 21:24 26 Oct 05

Hi

I am thinking of buying a USB Hub and am not sure I know much about them - is there a lot to know?

I have just bought a new desk which makes reaching the 2 USB ports on the back of the tower really difficult. My husband often unplugs the printer USB to plug into his laptop on an adjacent desk and this is going to prove difficult now. Will a USB Hub help? Can I plug it into a port on the back of the tower and then sit the hub box on the desk for easy access (do they come with a long enough cable?).

I could do with an extra port or two so this may be the answer. Are they all much of a muchness or are there specific things I should look for. Compatability for instance.

Many thanks
bear

woodchip 21:28 26 Oct 05

Get a USB 2 Hub that as got a Mains adapter to power it. Do not buy one without the Adapter

woodchip 21:30 26 Oct 05

PS if you live near Barnsley there is a Computer Fire on Sunday you will get one cheap there. Metrodome

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:30 26 Oct 05

Each USB port on your PC can deliver a maximum of 500mA. If you plug in a HUB this is then shared by all the ports on the HUB, OK if each device is not taking a lot of current.

Some devices like printers, scanners and USB BB modems can be quite heavy users of current so the best policy is to pay a little bit more for a Powered Hub which plugs into the mains as well as the USB port.

bear73 21:32 26 Oct 05

Thanks for the advice. How much should I be looking at for a USB Hub with mains power, just so I'm not ripped off!

Shame as I am in Hertfordshire so nowhere near Barnsley!

Thanks again
bear

woodchip 21:35 26 Oct 05

Less than a tenner

bear73 21:42 26 Oct 05

Any advice on where to get one? I've had a quick look by doing Google and I have found a couple with mains power but they are 16-18 pounds.

Will it always state clearly if it is mains powered, can't seem to find many.

Thanks
bear

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:19 26 Oct 05

I would like to know here woodchip gets his powered hubs from for less than a tenner:0)

I would expect to pay approx £15 for powered £8 -£10 non powered.

Jackcoms 22:32 26 Oct 05

I'd like to know what on earth a "Computer Fire" is ???!!!

Some strange Yorkshire ritual?

spuds 22:37 26 Oct 05

For a usb hub try ebuyer click here If you put usb hub in the search box, 97 devices are available. The first on the list was quickcode 92945 usb2 4port with power adapter @ £4.99. Go through the list and you may find something suitable.

Stuartli 23:10 26 Oct 05

A powered USB hub should be around £10 to £15 - go for quality rather than price.

If you have XP you won't/shouldn't need to install drivers for it.

Some useful information about USB 1.1 and 2.0 at:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now