Help upgrading my pc please.

DaPope 03:16 27 Oct 04

I have had my pc now for about 3 years and its time for an upgrade of a few things: motherboard, graphics card and ram.

I’m going to try and give enough info, if you need any more please ask.

Is it ok to put 2gig of ram?
What type of motherboard can I use?
What type of graphics card can I use?

All this is so I can play the latest games lol.
I don’t want the ultimate in any of the above, less than £100 for each would be great.

Computer specs:

Probably way too much info :-)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 1483 MHz (15 x 99)
Motherboard Name Dell Dimension 8100
Motherboard Chipset Intel Tehama i850(E)
System Memory 384 MB (RDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (11/30/00)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra

Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
Product Dimension 8100

Processor Properties:
Manufacturer Intel
External Clock 100 MHz
Maximum Clock 1600 MHz
Current Clock 1500 MHz
Type Central Processor
Voltage 3.3 V, 2.9 V
Status Enabled
Upgrade ZIF
Socket Designation Microprocessor

[ Memory Devices / RIMM_1 ]

Memory Device Properties:
Form Factor RIMM
Type RDRAM
Type Detail RAMBUS
Size 128 MB
Speed 400 MHz
Total Width 16-bit
Data Width 16-bit
Device Locator RIMM_1

[ Memory Devices / RIMM_2 ]

Form Factor RIMM
Type RDRAM
Type Detail RAMBUS
Size 128 MB
Speed 400 MHz
Total Width 16-bit
Data Width 16-bit
Device Locator RIMM_2

[ Memory Devices / RIMM_3 ]

Form Factor RIMM
Type RDRAM
Type Detail RAMBUS
Size 64 MB
Speed 400 MHz
Total Width 16-bit
Data Width 16-bit
Device Locator RIMM_3

[ Memory Devices / RIMM_4 ]

Form Factor RIMM
Type RDRAM
Type Detail RAMBUS
Size 64 MB
Speed 400 MHz
Total Width 16-bit
Data Width 16-bit
Device Locator RIMM_4

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4
CPU Alias P68, Willamette, A80528
CPU Stepping B2
Engineering Sample No
CPUID CPU Name Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1500MHz
CPUID Revision 00000F07h

CPU Speed:
CPU Clock 1483.04 MHz (original: 1500 MHz)
CPU Multiplier 15.0x
CPU FSB 98.87 MHz (original: 100 MHz)
Memory Bus 395.48 MHz

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset Intel Tehama i850(E)

SPD Memory Modules:
RIMM1: Samsung MR16R 0828AN1-CK8 128 MB PC800 RDRAM
RIMM2: Samsung MR16R 0828AN1-CK8 128 MB PC800 RDRAM
RIMM3: Samsung MR16R 0824AN1-CK8 64 MB PC800 RDRAM
RIMM4: Samsung MR16R 0824AN1-CK8 64 MB PC800 RDRAM

Graphics Processor Properties:
DirectX 4.09.00.0902 (DirectX 9.0b)
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra
GPU Code Name NV15BR (AGP 4x 10DE / 0152, Rev A4)
GPU Clock 250 MHz
Memory Clock 229 MHz

AGP Controller:
AGP Version 2.00
AGP Status Enabled
AGP Device nVIDIA GeForce2 Ultra
AGP Aperture Size 64 MB
Supported AGP Speeds 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP Speed 4x
Fast-Write Supported, Enabled
Side Band Addressing Supported, Disabled

Thats is, was that too much?

Any and all help will be great thank you.

hillybilly 06:37 27 Oct 04

1 It's a Dell

2 What type of motherboard can I use?

3 What type of graphics card can I use?

4 Is it ok to put 2gig of ram?

1 Because you have a Dell there is a good posibilty that the motherboard is a non stanard fitting within the case, so first of all you might need a new case.

2 The best you can afford, depends which type of cpu your want to buy, in you price range I would think an AMD Athlon.

3 Depends on the new mobo specification, it will probably be 8x AGP. Once again you will probably be governed more by price and whether you want ATI or Nvidia chipset.

4 2Gb of ram seems a bit excessive to me compared to what else you want to spend, games players i'm sure will advise you here. I would have thought slightly less on the ram and more on the graphics, but I'm not a game player.

georgemac 09:11 27 Oct 04

I agree with hillybilly, probably best to start with a new case and power supply unit - don't think the dell psu will be rated for new graphics and power hungry components. Don't skimp on the case/psu - get good quality.

1. click here case + psu

2. click here motherboard for amd athlon xp cpu - lower cost option than the 64 bit cpu's and an athlon xp cpu click here again depending on budget I would advise going for a 64 bit athlon cpu and motherboard - will be more expensive but athlon xp's are scarce now and the price seems to be going up.

3. graphics go for 8 x agp click here or better value maybe click here

4. Ram go for 1 gb of pc3200 ddr this is ample

you could choose a 64 bit amd cpu with motherboard with new pci express graphics card but this will cost a lot more. Graphics is what you can spend most money on but will be out of date fastest.

click here is a handy tool to find the cheapest prices when you decide the components you want.

good luck, wait for others to give you more ideas.

georgemac 09:17 27 Oct 04

I have now read that the psu in a dimension 8100 is a 300 watt (the arings will be on a label on the side) custom made for dell and the atx wiring may be different to standard so until this is 100% clear I would not attach the psu to a new motherboard.

wait for more advice from people used to dell systems.

georgemac 09:20 27 Oct 04

price up what it would cost you to upgrade

then consider selling your exisiting system which is quite a good business system and see how much you would have to spend on thsi click here from mesh - a pca best buy and would be an excellent pc for what you want and more upgradeable in future as it uses all stadard parts.

DaPope 16:21 27 Oct 04

Well forget the motherboard and case, i have no idea of to do any of that.
Based on what i already have what are my options for juat a graphics card?
Im gonna stick to Nvidia.
Will this work in my system?
XFX GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR TV + DVI
or
BFG GeForce FX 5200 OC 256MB AGP

Any ideas on a good price to upgrade to 1 gig of ram??

georgemac 16:43 27 Oct 04

Ram - your system uses rambus ram which I don't think is supplied by the memory manufacturers anymore and will probably be very expensive.

upgrading memory has to be done im matched pairs I think so could be very expensive from Dell "If you upgrade the memory, the RIMMs must be upgraded in matched pairs of identical MB capacity in both sockets 1 and 2 or sockets 3 and 4."

I went to the dell site to see if it listed possible upgrades for your system, selected dell dimension but the 8100 is not on the list! click here

a good guide for working on your pc click here and the technical specs click here looks like you have agp x4 so will take a pretty modern agp card but these are designed to run at 8x so you will not get max peformance

probably not what you wanted to hear but dell's are not very upgradeable I'm afraid

DaPope 19:13 27 Oct 04

From what i can work out, this card
XFX GeForce FX 5200 256MB DDR TV
and this ram
click here
should work.

Thanks for everything so far :-)

citadel 23:10 27 Oct 04

a fx5900xt is about £129 and is a lot faster than a fx5200, if you want more ram the best way would be to remove the two 64 pieces an replace them with another two 128 pieces making a total of 512.

DaPope 23:40 27 Oct 04

The fx5900xt sounds good, thanks.

I was gonna put in two 256s replacing the two 64s. Would they have to go in in any special order?

Instead of getting a new case for a new motherboard would i just be able to drop a p2.8mhz chip in to replace the one i have?

I think that should be my last question, the help has been great :-)

georgemac 07:34 28 Oct 04

as long as the rimms are a matched pair in slot1/2 & slot3/4 it does not seem to matter which order you put them in. From Dell

HINT: If you upgrade the memory, the RIMMs must be upgraded in matched pairs of identical MB capacity in both sockets 1 and 2 or sockets 3 and 4.

HINT: Be sure to install RIMMs in the first two sockets nearest the processor before installing RIMMs in the outer two sockets.

HINT: RIMM slots without memory modules need to be populated with continuity modules.

To remove a memory module:

Press out the securing clip at each end of the memory connector until the memory module disengages from the connector.

To add a memory module:

Remove the computer cover.

Rotate the power supply.

Press out the securing clip at each end of the memory connector.

Align the notches on the bottom of the module with the crossbars in the connector.

HINT: To avoid breaking the memory module, do not press near the middle of the module.

Insert the module straight down into the connector, making sure that it fits into the vertical guides at each end of the connector. Press firmly on the ends until the memory module snaps into place.

If you insert the module correctly, the securing clips snap into the cutouts at each end of the module.
HINT: To avoid breaking the memory module, do not press near the middle of the module

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…