help in upgrade please

clubberlang 17:32 29 Oct 07

hi i want to upgrade my computer which is currently pentium d 3.00ghz, 512mb ram, foxconn motherboard. Id like to go intel e6850 or maybe the q6600 but thats as far as im up to i have no clue which motherboard. Also id like a graphics card and more ram at least 2gb and maybe 4? could i do this with a £500 budget? i think im pushing it thanks in advance for any advice :)

Totally-braindead 17:37 29 Oct 07

Bottom 2 click here and you could get a reasonable graphics card with the change but not a top of the line one. You might also need to upgrade your power supply depending on what you have and if so then that will definately be above the £500 budget.

clubberlang 18:13 29 Oct 07

i got a 300w standard psu atm

clubberlang 18:18 29 Oct 07

sorry for double post :( but which one would you reccomend? the dual or quad and maybe i could get a second hand 8800gt? or gts/gtx off ebay. Which psu would i need a 650? i suppose i could buy bit by bit and upgrade slowly?

Totally-braindead 18:18 29 Oct 07

It will definatly need replaced to a decent branded one of at least 500 watts, not just for the board and CPU but also for the graphics card.
Bearing that in mind I think your budget might be a little bit optimistic unless of course you just want a cheap graphics card in which case I think you could manage it.

clubberlang 18:24 29 Oct 07

yeh i suppose a little optimistic :) what do you think about the e6750 instead could i manage it then?

Totally-braindead 18:27 29 Oct 07

The higher rated power supply the better. I said at least 500 watts but 600 watts would give a bit more cover.
I'm not fond of buying certain things off ebay, one thing I won't buy off them is memory and the other is graphics cards.
I have no idea which one of these CPUs is better. I have to say they are top of the range hence the price. If you drop the processor down a bit you could hopefully get all you want for £500.
£150 for a decent graphics card
£60 for a good quality power supply and that leaves you £290 for the CPU board and memory and you could get something decent for that.
I was looking at Novatech but Komplett do some decent bundles to click here

Totally-braindead 18:28 29 Oct 07

This would be a good one and inside your budget click here when its back in stock of course.

clubberlang 18:32 29 Oct 07

thanks very much totally-braindead you have been a big help :) i got abit of thinking to do i think :)

GaT7 19:21 29 Oct 07

Going by your budget & what Totally-braindead has already suggested, this is what I'd go for (total of £460-467). All from Komplett OR eBuyer to make things simpler:

* Komplett upgrade Kit E6750, Asus P5N-E SLI, 2048MB click here - £215, OR eBuyer's individual components - click here & click here + 800Mhz RAM (OCZ Platinum click here) - £227

* Komplett EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB click here - £185, OR eBuyer Point Of View 8800GTS 320MB (cheapest) click here - £186

* Komplett OCZ StealthXStream 600W - £60 (review click here), OR eBuyer's equivalent click here - £54

The 2Gb RAM that comes with Komplett's kit is 667Mhz - with 800Mhz being preferable, eBuyer's offering is recommended.

I don't think it's worth paying £40-45 more for the E6850. Also, save £20 if you won't need SLi: Gigabyte GA-P31-S3L P31 motherboard click here.

Btw, 4Gb RAM will only be fully recognised/addressed by a 64-bit OS, & may be overkill for your usage anyway. G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…