Help Unlocking A Private Folder

Stirkius 19:31 30 Oct 04

I run a "dual" disc system on my computer.The main drive (C)crashed last week. I am now in the process of copying all my folders back from my "second" drive (D)
However, when the machine was running correctly I made my own folder "private" - I then used Ghost to clone the drive from c to d.

When i try to cut and copy this folder I get

Cannot copy ipreset Access is denied.Make sure the disc is not full or write protected" - how do I get round this (is is to do withpermissions on the private folder) Any help appreciated as over a years work stored on this folder plus all my favorites .....

Forum Editor 19:36 30 Oct 04

opening the folder on your D drive - using the password you selected - and then dragging the files across in batches?

Or simply unprotect the folder?

Stirkius 21:03 01 Nov 04

Thay seems easier said than done ......I think this could be to do with the permissions on the folder but I dont have an idea how to set them so I can gain access....(I seem to remember this has to be done in "safe" mode .....)

I am not bothered if the whole drive is set to "open" as I intend to format it once I have managed to save my files within this "privately marked " folder....

Ideas ?

temp003 09:56 02 Nov 04

Try Bela's suggestion of taking ownership of the folder.

I assume you use XP Home. Restart computer in Safe Mode. Log on as Administrator or an account with Admin privileges. Right click the folder, Properties, Security tab, Advanced, Owner tab. In the box below the words "Change owner to", highlight the new account on the computer which you now use (the name should be [New Computer name\new account name], tick the box "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects". Click OK, OK again. See if you can now access the folder. If not, right click folder again, Properties, Security tab. In the box in the top half, highlight the account you now use, then in the box in the lower half, tick all the boxes in the Allow column, click OK, and try again.

Stirkius 21:04 03 Nov 04

My God I could kiss you !!!!!
Perfect answer.......worked a treat and saved over a years work on a secondary disk....

Thanks a million ......give this person a "gold star".....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…