Help understanding Cable/DSL and modem/router!?

StoogeNuge 17:04 23 Sep 09

Hi this is my first post on this Forumn and i just want to say thanks in advance :)

Ok the problem im having is my current router (Thomson TG585 V7) is not working with my xbox 360, NAT settings are to strict, this is a known problem. So im looking to change my router for something that is gaming friendly and a bit quicker.

I have been looking at the Belkin F5D8235uk4 N+ Wireless Cable Router and the Belkin F5D8236uk4 N Wireless Cable/DSL Internet Gateway Router. My question is, will these work with my broadband connection which is DSL? And do i also need a modem?

Basicly will these connect to the internet and allow me to connect a wireless laptop and my xbox via an ethernet without any other hardware etc?

Please help if you can because i have been searching for hours now and can find no definitive answer, really dont want ot waste £60 on something that wont work!!

Tech Guy 17:27 23 Sep 09

I also have the same as your router (from 02(they suck so going back to Sky)).

You can set the router up, just create a firewall rule and then apply it - it's caled port forwarding. click here

If you do get that router just make sure you get the DSL version (as cable one is for virgin cable line NOT a BT line)

Strawballs 22:50 23 Sep 09
  mgmcc 23:08 23 Sep 09

If you are going to get a Router for use with ADSL, I would recommend very strongly that you get a *COMBINED* Router & ADSL Modem, not a "Cable/DSL Router".

Although a Cable/DSL Router can be used in conjunction with a separate Ethernet ADSL Modem, this can be difficult to set up and is best left to experts in networking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now