Help unable to stream videos from Windows media player to my PS3!!!

julius44 09:58 AM 05 Jun 11

Hello and good morning to u all. I have a windows 7 64 bit desktop, and i'm attempting to stream my videos including soem family videos from my external usb drive which is connected to my desktop, to my ps3 but i'm having all sorts of problems!!!! I've followed vidoes on youtube but i'm still having issues!!

When i go to windows media player.....and click om turn on media show devices is BLANK!!!!! so i cannot proceed. It then said somewhere on a youtube go to start,....then type in services,..and look for windows media player,.....well windows media player does NOT seem to show under my sercies, so i seem to be totally stuck. Any suggestions please???

Secret-Squirrel 10:22 AM 05 Jun 11

"When i go to windows media player.....and click om turn on media show devices is BLANK!!!!!"

Sorry to ask an obvious question Julius, but have you added the device to Windows? If you haven't then I'll give you some instructions.

julius44 10:27 AM 05 Jun 11

Hello secret-squirrel,.....maybe i have not done that pls kindly post me instructions, thanks loadz

Secret-Squirrel 10:36 AM 05 Jun 11

1) Make sure that your PS3 is on and connected to your home network.

2) Go to Control Panel, make sure the "View By" option is set to "Large Icons", then double click on "Devices And Printers".

3) At the top of that window, click "Add a Device" and within a short while your PS3 should appear in the list so go through the steps to add it.

"well windows media player does NOT seem to show under my sercies"

I don't have that service either but I do have a "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" with a "Startup Type" of "Automatic (Delayed Start)". Have another look there if it's still not working for you.

Secret-Squirrel 10:54 AM 05 Jun 11

"I have never seen a PS3 added to a Windows Based Machine via the Add Device Wizard"

Actually, you may be right - I've assumed that the PS3 would behave like any other media server such as the ones made by Western digital, the Xbox etc.

Secret-Squirrel 12:13 PM 05 Jun 11

I've done some research and it turns out the PS3 is fully DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compliant. I'm guessing that my earlier instructions should, in principle, work and Julius will then be able to stream from his Media Player. I don't have a PS3 so I can't experiment.

Let's hope we get some feedback from either the original poster or another PS3/Windows 7 user.

julius44 12:44 PM 05 Jun 11

Hello all i'm back again, still having problems!!! Ive put my ps3 on, when i got to control panel, and then it says searching for devices.....make sure your device is discoverable,..but the ps3 is already on and i'm assuming its already discoverable, but my pc still has NOT detected the ps3 and my ps3 hasnt detected my pc under the search for media servers!!!

Any suggestions now please??

c4rm0 12:47 PM 05 Jun 11

Have you allowed the Windows media player and Media player network sharing services on your firewall ?

I would use a Media server on your PC like TVersity or Orb there much better than Windows Media player

Once installed on PC the PS3 should pick them both up and and allow you to stream Movies , Music from your PC to the PS3

Secret-Squirrel 13:04 PM 05 Jun 11

If this doesn't help then I'm out of ideas.

julius44 19:14 PM 06 Jun 11

Hello everyone and good evening...sorry its taken me ages to respond, just got back from work and SORRY that I also posted this in another post as well....but i was hoping to get a solution anyway.

Okay here we go....when I open windows media player,....and clikc on stream, and then automatically allow devices to play my media, and then I clik on automatically all all computers and media devices,..... This is where my problems start from: It then says choose media streaming options for computers and devices, BUT the name your media library box is BLANK!!!! And the show your devices box is BLANK!!!!

From vides that ive seen on youtube ut is meant to give me the option to find the library!!!! so from here i just give up..... Any help would be appreciated!!!! I have Kaspersky pure, but i dont think that my kaspersky firewall is the problem!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Black Friday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Black Friday deals & best UK Black Friday tech…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Jean Jullien, Supermundane and more design badges for Farmdrop's 'local food revolution'

20 Mac Power User Tricks... That You Didn't Know