Help unable to boot from CD drive

wobblymike 23:00 14 Mar 06

Guys I need some help
I have just started building a PC - It has an Albatron KM400 mobo - 256Mb of PC2700 DDR RAM, 80GB hard drive as primary master and a conventional CD drive as Secondary master. I have formatted and partitioned the hard drive using maxblast as I have done many times before - I then put the OS disc in the CD rebooted and got a message "A disk read error ocurred press Ctrl Alt del to restart"
I have confirmed that CD is set to boot 2nd (I did of course remove the floppy), I have tried 3 different cd drives and 3 different IDE cables. What is happening is that the PC is going straight to the HDD after the floppy and ignoring the CD. I confirmed this by setting the HDD to boot first and got the same message then again by setting the HDD to boot 3rd after the CD - i put a different HDD with an OS on it in and the machine loaded it. My question therefore can anyone offer any ideas why the PC is not attempting to boot from the CD?

wobblymike 23:17 14 Mar 06

PS I have also switched the IDE channels around with the same result - the PC goes straight to the Hard drive after the floppy and not the CD Drive.

beeuuem 00:40 15 Mar 06

You need to set the CD drive to be the first boot device If you have the CD drive set to be the second boot device the system will try to boot from the hard drive first, find no OS and give up.

PC Medic 01:08 15 Mar 06

Apoligies for my missing T's in previous msgs's. Keyboard is on it's last legs

€dstowe 06:39 15 Mar 06

Time for the medic's attention to your keyboard?

Seriously, it is unwise to post your email address on here.

Unscrupulous people use "trawler" software to search around forums like this looking for email addresses for their nefarious purposes.

wobblymike 07:08 15 Mar 06

PC Medic
Thanks for your replys
Only 1 cd in system which I have set to 1st boot device - I have installed another hdd in with an OS on it and have booted up to windows and then checked to see if I can access the disc I am trying to boot from - I can.
The problem is that the PC will not boot from the CD drive I have tried numerous bootable CDs it just ignores it and goes searching for something else to boot from in the case of my frshly formatted hdd it is unsuccessful in the case of one with a os on it boots from it. the question remains why won't it boot from the cd. I have tried 3 different drives changed the cables no joy

terryf 07:20 15 Mar 06

If you can get to the internet on another PC go to click here and make the 6 floppy disks that will allow the preliminary stages of Win XP setup. This may solve your problem. You will still need the CD may these FDs will load all the appropriate drivers.

terryf 07:22 15 Mar 06

Last sentence should have read 'the CD but theseFDs, etc'

€dstowe 09:20 15 Mar 06

Check the jumper settings on the CD drive. It must be set to master (or cable select if it's in the right position on the cable.)

wobblymike 16:12 16 Mar 06

Ladies and Gents

One more go at this problem before I give up -situation is the same it will not boot from cd heres the saga
new build PC with new hard drive
formatted and partitioned hdd - put OS disc in cd drive set cd drive to 1st boot device - it wont boot just throws up NTLDR is missing (i.e. it is ignoring the CD and going straight to HDD)
Changed CD drive, cables, troid the cd deive on both primary and secondary IDE no joy
Decided to load OS using floppies got to no 6 and got a blue screen message this board is not compliant with ACPi needs a BIOS uograde. I found a BIOS upgrade downloaded it and successfully flashed the bios - still the same.
I've run out of ideas other than something amiss with the board - incidentally I put in a HDD which had an OS on it ran it up and tried to see if I could read from the disc I was trying toboot from - I could. Any thoughts welcome I feel a dustbin approaching!

woodchip 16:19 16 Mar 06

check all BIOS sttings for CD also set it as first boot device

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now