HELP :( Trying to set up wireless speedtouch 576

gvp444 17:39 05 Oct 06

Hi, When it comes to computers I would say i am an intermediate user and can usually suss things out, BUT..............

I was getting fed up with my normal usb adsl modem cutting out so thought stuff this i'll go wireless. I bought a usb wireless adapter and i bought a New Speedtouch 576 wireless router/modem from ebay.

I thought great plug the adapter in and load software, no problems with that, Then it came to the 576, This was obviosly supplied for AOL but I am not on AOL, therefore I find the instalation cd pointless. I connected the modem router to my line and to the Ethernet (dont understand how its wireless when it has to connect to the PC) and it supposedly set up. I could find 3 wireless networks that weren't mine and tried to set up my own so the modem would work but couldn't even do that, so basically i haven't got a clue, dismantled it all and put the usb modem back on.

If anyone can help me set this up so i can put the modem router over the otherside of the room and have a wireless internet connection it would be much appreciated.

PS i am not goint to be connecting other pcs etc just want a wireless internet connection for this one pc.

Is it that it must be connected to my pc through the ethernet and that Going wireless only benefits those that want a network?

if so Maybe I'll just try and find a better wired adsl modem.........so if anyone wants to buy the above wireless modem/router and connection adapter thingy look out for an auction on ebay soon :)

Thanks

ade.h 19:00 05 Oct 06

"(dont understand how its wireless when it has to connect to the PC)" - because nearly all routers have to be connected via Ethernet to perform initial setup.

click here Note: direct link to PDF.

STREETWORK 22:13 09 Oct 06

All ways set up a wired connection first before migrating to wireless...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…