Help! trying to set up wireless con

maidenmanhattan 13:12 02 Sep 07

Hi
Hoping for some help please!
At home we've got a PC and a laptop. Currently using BT ADSL.
I checked the microsoft site on how to set up a network and it said that if I bought a router then it would plug into our ADSL modem. So I bought a BT voyager 2091 router package including laptop card (as my laptop didn't come with wireless capability).
The instructions on my router pack don't seem to allow for plugging this into the existing modem, it actually seems to replace the existing modem (?) so if I replace it this will mean that our PC is not able to connect because I don't think (or don't know how to check) it has wireless capability.
Can anyone help me on this as it's really frustrating! I'm worried I've bought the wrong piece of kit and wasted my cash...
Many thanks

BurrWalnut 13:53 02 Sep 07

Connect the 2091 to the computer, the existing modem is redundant.

Go to Internet Options, Connections Tab and check that 'Never dial.....' is ticked.

Consult the manual and type something like 192.168.0.1 into a browser window to set your ISP details.

Once that is done and you can connect to the web, receive mail and the like, you can set up the wireless network.

ambra4 20:52 03 Sep 07

The BT voyager 2091 router package is an ADSL modem/ router / wireless system all in one

You need to remove the present modem and install this one, but before you do that access the present modem and make some notes on the setting

Unplug the old power supply from the wall socket, and the phone line from modem only do not use the old power supply on new equipment

Connect the new power supply unit into the new modem/router and the phone line

From Port 1 on the router connect the Ethernet cable to the lan port on computer turn on router and wait 1 min before trying to access router set up just read the manual and follow the instruction

Access the router by checking the access code in manual and configure the router

Don’t worry about the wireless system as yet

(No one is just waiting to access you computer and steal you information)

Once router is set up see if you and access the Internet and do a check, email, your site you go, music download etc, and let it run for a few days before setting the wireless system.

Go to this site and read on how to set up wireless system can save you having a very big headache

4 steps to set up your home wireless network

click here

Strawballs 22:23 03 Sep 07

The problem with the microsoft site their information is aimed at the USA and that is more like cable in this country in that they use seperate modem and routers and this country internet via a phone line tends to use combined modem/routers.

maidenmanhattan 21:05 04 Sep 07

thanks all for replying - boyf is going to have a crack at it this week...fingers crossed - I will let you know how it goes.
:)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…