help, trojan problems

Super Frankie Lamps 17:02 16 Jun 08

i have had a lot of problems with my boy's pc today with not being able to ctrl,alt,del to bring up task manager having my automatic updates to windows "turned off", various requests for changes to my internet "zones" and being redirected to sites to buy virus and spyware protection. So after running ccleaner and spybot, as well as having macafee, i have just run another programme, SUPERAntispyware and found the following :

Trojan.Vundo-variant/smallGEN
Adware.Vundo variant/resident
Trojan.Vundo-variant/small

however i cannot complete the scan because after these flash up my pc crashes with a message that there is something seriously wrong with it.

does anyone out there have any idea how i can rid myself of this problem please

many thanks

mrsf 17:17 16 Jun 08

Hi
I had the same problem a while back and tried the tool in the link and it worked but you must turn off the system restore function in xp before running the tool, hope it works here is the link:

click here

VoG II 17:17 16 Jun 08

Try this click here

mfletch 19:13 16 Jun 08

Don;t turn off your system restore as any restore point is better than none,

Download this then update it then do a full scan in safe mode,

click here

Reboot into SAFE MODE

1/Click Start and then click Turn Off Computer.
2/In the Turn Off Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
3/As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8 repeatedly.
4/Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
5/If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
Note: If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again
PS/ Sometimes it maybe the F5 key

UncleP 01:01 17 Jun 08

For what it's worth, I picked up this Trojan a few months ago. It caused a fair amount of file corruption which I managed to remove by running Chkdsk (several times). After that SuperAntiSpyware ran correctly, detected Vundo and another Trojan and removed them permanently.

C3 02:46 17 Jun 08

Further to MFletch's advice, you can boot straight into Safe Mode with Networking, then install Malwarebytes and do the update followed by the full system scan.
I usually do a mop up with Spybot after a Malwarebytes scan. Doesn't usually find anything, but always worth having a 2nd opinion.

Super Frankie Lamps 07:36 17 Jun 08

thanks to all that gave me advice, this is now solved. i ran the symantec piece that was recommended and it seems that Superantispyware did the job before it crashed my machine. will maybe use some of your other suggestions to make sure its def off my system, but once again, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…