help in transferring files from NT to 2000

KayteeB53 16:45 08 Aug 03

Can anyone help me - I have an old Compaq Armada running NT4 and I want to move my archived mail messages to a Windows 200 Dell Latitude. I dont have a CD burner on my old pc - PC World recommended a parallel cable but I cant seem to get it to work. Advice would be appreciated.

KayteeB53 17:14 08 Aug 03

Sorry just seen the type - should read from Windows NT4 to Windows 2000

krypt1c 18:52 08 Aug 03

It may be long-winded if you've lots of mails but if you create a folder - say Archived Mail - then open your email client you can drag your mails to this folder - 1 at a time unfortunately. Then when you've finished save the folder to floppy disc. You can then copy tham to your new pc.
btw if you've any mails with the exactly the same subject you'll need to rename the 1st one you copy before the next one.

KayteeB53 09:52 09 Aug 03

Thank you - Have moved into archive folders. The problem is that I have got many many files - the archive files are huge. Is there another way other than using floppy disks

krypt1c 11:50 09 Aug 03

If you go into help index and enter parallel theres some info on linking pc's.
Another option is to just fit a cd-r or cd-rw into your old pc. You can get one fairly cheaply now as you can see from this link
click here

MichelleC 12:23 09 Aug 03

Another option is to upload your files 2 an upload/download site which is free for a limited amount period. There are some which hold a lot of mb for members.

krypt1c 13:12 09 Aug 03

Nice one MichelleC, although uploading is slow, unless you have broadband. Anyway KayteeB53 you could try one of these click here

krypt1c 10:36 10 Aug 03

Another thought. Do you have, or know anyone who has, a digital camera ?. If so you could use the card reader as a removable drive.

KayteeB53 11:21 10 Aug 03

Thanks for all your help - can I fit my DELL CD-R to the Comapq - trouble is it has an odd connector - dont have a matching port on the Compaq - why is it all so difficult!!!

krypt1c 12:25 10 Aug 03

Ah!. Just realised both are laptops. Is your cd-r an external one ?

KayteeB53 12:50 11 Aug 03

Yes it is - it connects to my Dell PC by an external cable - the connector is not like my paralle port on my Compac. Thank you for your help Kay

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…