HELP... THINK I HAVE AN UNDETECTABLE VIRUS

Neil-220364 14:25 07 Mar 06

MY P.C DOSENT SEEM TO FUNCTION CORRECTLY. WHEN I TYPE HELP INTO THE RUN BOX IT JUST FLASHES AND DISSAPEERS FROM THE SCREEN. ITS ALSO SLOW ON START UP IVE FIXED MY REGISTRY AND NORTON SAYS EVERYTHING IS FINE. IM AT THE END OF MY TETHER WITH THIS. ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRICIATED.

Fellsider 14:31 07 Mar 06

and I don't think I have a virus.

Why are you typing help in the run box? why not click on help and support? (assuming you are using XP)

Curio 14:33 07 Mar 06

F1 gets you Help too.

Fingees 14:34 07 Mar 06

It's usually slow on start up if you are using Norton.

This is one of the main problems with it, as it's memory hungry.

Jackcoms 15:34 07 Mar 06

Give it a good clean out with click here

The defrag it and report back

Monument 15:38 07 Mar 06

On an XP box you MUST type 'cmd' in the run box and then 'help' at the command prompt.

There is probably nothing wrong.

ps don't type in capitals it is considered shouting :o)

Gongoozler 15:40 07 Mar 06

Type msconfig into the run box, then click on the Startup tab and post the list of the Startup items here. We will then see what other items may be slowing your computer down.

Also please don't use all capitals on your postings, it makes them difficult to read, and can be interpreted as shouting.

Neil-220364 11:38 08 Mar 06

VTTimer
SOUNDMAN
ABoard
ccApp
ccRegVfy
SNDMon
E_S4IOH2
jusched

all of these options are active on my start up. any help will be fantastic guys. also any tips on antivirus software. nortons starting to p**s me off!!!

vinnyT 13:01 08 Mar 06

VTTimer.exe is installed alongside the drivers for S3 chipsets and adds increased diagnostics and functionality for these products. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

soundman.exe is a installed with Sound cards made by Realtek. This process merely places an icon on the system tray for easy access to diagnostic features. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems

ABoard could this be to do with any puzzles you have installed?

ccapp.exe is a process belonging to Norton AntiVirus. It is responsible for the auto-protect and email checking facilities, both of which will not function correctly if this service is stopped. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

ccregvfy.exe is a part of the Norton Internet Security Suite. This process check the integrity of registry entrees duriing the computer's boot-up for malicious changes, and for corruption. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

SNDMon.exe is a process associated with Norton Antivirus application from Symantec. This process should not be removed to ensure that your system security is not breached.

E_S4IOH2 epson status monitor

jusched.exe is a process installed alongside Sun Microsystem's Java2 suite and, and checks for/installs Java updates. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Seems pretty much OK.

Got all those I didn't know by googling.

Gongoozler 17:54 08 Mar 06

ABoard is probably part of Activboard click here. If it is, wonder if you need it to install at startup.

Norton software is generally good at it's job, but is often resource hungry. This could well be slowing your startup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…